Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Tech Support and Forum Bugs

How to access TSP Forum if DNS is knocked out

(1/3) > >>

Mr. Bill:
The US recently experienced an attack on the Internet's DNS system.  DNS translates URLs (like thesurvivalpodcast.com) into IP addresses.

Currently (and for the foreseeable future), the IP address of thesurvivalpodcast.com is 206.190.141.186

Unfortunately you can't just plug that in as a URL because the forum will break.  Instead, you will need to add it to your hosts file.

The hosts file will generally be located here:

* Windows: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Mac OS X 10.2 or later: /private/etc/hosts
* Linux: /etc/hosts
You will need administrator or root privileges to edit this file.

You can modify it right now, if you want, but it'll break if we ever change our IP address.  I have it like this in my hosts file, commented-out with "#" at the beginning of each line.  In an emergency I can just delete the "#":

--- Code: ---# Survival Podcast:
#206.190.141.186    thesurvivalpodcast.com    www.thesurvivalpodcast.com
#206.190.141.187    survivalpodcast.net       www.survivalpodcast.net
--- End code ---

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on October 22, 2016, 06:38:09 PM ---The US recently experienced an attack on the Internet's DNS system.  DNS translates URLs (like thesurvivalpodcast.com) into IP addresses.

Currently (and for the foreseeable future), the IP address of thesurvivalpodcast.com is 206.190.141.186

Unfortunately you can't just plug that in as a URL because the forum will break.  Instead, you will need to add it to your hosts file.

The hosts file will generally be located here:

* Windows: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Mac OS X 10.2 or later: /private/etc/hosts
* Linux: /etc/hosts
You will need administrator or root privileges to edit this file.

You can modify it right now, if you want, but it'll break if we ever change our IP address.  I have it like this in my hosts file, commented-out with "#" at the beginning of each line.  In an emergency I can just delete the "#":

--- Code: ---# Survival Podcast:
#206.190.141.186    thesurvivalpodcast.com    www.thesurvivalpodcast.com
#206.190.141.187    survivalpodcast.net       www.survivalpodcast.net
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

Ok, so, we have done this ahead, or have just written down the IP address somewhere, and for some reason we need to use this info and want to access getting here. Now, what ? We have this in the host area. Ok, so how does that get us here ? Is this little file a look up table, and so you type in Survival Podcast into the browser and it then checks this file and goes to this IP address ?  And, if it isnt too complicated to explain, why can't the IP address just directly be typed in the search engine ?

DWSDVSE:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on October 22, 2016, 09:27:34 PM ---Ok, so, we have done this ahead, or have just written down the IP address somewhere, and for some reason we need to use this info and want to access getting here. Now, what ? We have this in the host area. Ok, so how does that get us here ? Is this little file a look up table, and so you type in Survival Podcast into the browser and it then checks this file and goes to this IP address ? 

--- End quote ---

If things get screwy and you suspect or know it's a DNS issue, you can just remove the # in front of the lines and your browser will start using the file rather than what it finds via its regular sources (or no sources if DNS is down).

Once it's set in the hosts file, you can run like normal in your browser. It's all behind the scenes stuff.

You can also use host files to block problem domains as well. It's not perfect, but it works somewhat on things like keeping fake links to www.paypal.oogabooga from being passed off as paypal.com. You'd put www.paypal.oogabooga  to direct to 127.0.0.1, which will just send it back to you and give a 404 file not found error or whatever your browser says rather than passing it through to the fake paypal site.

--- Quote ---And, if it isnt too complicated to explain, why can't the IP address just directly be typed in the search engine ?
--- End quote ---

You can, but in theory the search engine might be down, too. Searching Google for 206.190.141.186 gives TSP as the first result for me.

nkawtg:
Done
Thanks Mr. Bill

Hurricane:
Does this work for the secure ( https ) version?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version