Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Re-arranging the basic firearm safety rules?

(1/1)

Greekman:
Just before the ourbreak, i was asked to demonstrate IPSC with an airsoft to my cousins family (in their farm).
i intend on starting with firearm safety of course, but i think of doing in different, simpler way.

in a 1-2-3-4 steps way, initially performed on a tabletop
1. See the gun = assume it is loaded
2. grab the gun = finger outside the trigger guard
3. raise the gun = never point a gun.....etc
4. aim the gun = be sure of your target.

what do you think of this approach?

DDJ:
Greekman
I do the same thing when I take new shooters to the range.  I start off with the basic safety rules and operation of the firearm.  I will often use just a slide or just a frame when doing these kinds of talks so we can see and touch.  I do that to confirm that I have an empty gun.  I do prefer to do that with a blue gun but it is often left at home.

In my opinion the order of the rules is a whole lot less important than the message.  I do like your see the gun touch the gun approach it is an interesting add that I have not seen.  I tend to show the interaction of the rules "always treat every gun as if it were loaded so never point it at something you are not willing to Shoot/destroy" type comments.

I will say that your approach does add an element of putting the rules into a process flow, but I am not sure it is a process after you pick up. Never point also applies to your legs and feet as well as those of others.  I might argue that before you raise the gun you should assess the fore and back ground.  This is especially true of situations where you are not on a square range.  Foreground and Background scanning gets harder if you through an optic in or close and eye.  I know that goes beyond the IDPA  mindset, but so do the 4 rules. 

I am not saying that your method of teaching is all wrong and applied as a new student is picking up the gun for the first time is very good.  Once that is introduced then the student/friend/family must take it to the now you have to do that all at once and the entire time the firearm is in your hand/control.  I do believe that as in introduction it could be a good approach, but it must be reinforced that they are not a 1, 2, 3, then 4 step process but all at the same time. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version