Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

First shotgun advice

(1/4) > >>

bigbear:
I'm looking into a low-cost quality shotgun.  I get that that criteria can be mutually exclusive... 

Budget:  Total cost less than $750 (the closer to $500 the better).  I don't have a gun safe or anywhere to store it currently.  I've got 4 kids in the house, so safely storing it is a priority. 

Purpose:  I'd like something for goose hunting primarily.  But that could function well for home defense too.  I would be ok with multiple barrels to suit the job.

I'm currently considering one of the Mossberg 500 series (535) or Remington 870.  And a 10 gun safe for $120 at Dick's as well.

Thoughts?

David in MN:
Both work. In your budget you might find a used Wingmaster. The great debate between Mossberg and Remington (in my opinion) comes down to which you learn on. The only difference (for you) is that Remington makes a screw on mag extension for HD purposes while Mossberg's mag is fixed.

I shoot an 870 and a good buddy shoots a 500. They both run fine but we look like idiots when we swap and can't find the safeties and the loading gate just feels wrong.

16onRockandRoll:
Go buy one or the other. You're on the right track. The short barrels tend to be cheaper to buy after, so if you buy with the long barrel, you can add a shorter barrel later. I have shot both and like both. Each has strengths and weaknesses, but most are academic more than anything.

Seriously, go buy one, used if you can. Insist on removable choke tubes unless you find one with a fixed choke for a song. The lock boxes are okay. Save for at least a reasonable safe for the next purchase, but in the meantime the lockbox will keep little hands at bay.

BLACK SHIRT:
Go with Mossberg. Do not buy a new Remington Firearm, their quality and reputation is gone. They are more like Taurus now, if you get a good one your lucky.

bigbear:
Preference for a 3" or 3.5" barrel?

--- Quote from: David in MN on January 14, 2016, 12:13:22 PM ---Both work. In your budget you might find a used Wingmaster.
--- End quote ---

What are some key things to look for in a used gun?  I've seen others say a used police 870 is a good buy because you know they're taken care of.  How do you figure that out?

--- Quote from: BLACK SHIRT on January 15, 2016, 06:16:38 AM ---Do not buy a new Remington Firearm, their quality and reputation is gone.
--- End quote ---

I've heard this about a few makers.  But more often about Remington.  Is there a particular year where the decline in quality begins?  And a reason why? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version