Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airgun Board

Paintball Guns As A Less Lethal Defense...

(1/2) > >>

TJ:
Forgive me if I put this in the wrong section, but I guess a paintball gun could be considered an "airgun". Ill start this off after watching a training video of LEO's using paintball and reball (think rubber "paintballs"). I paintball a lot and I was thinking, if either in a small riot situation or confrontation that would not require the use of deadly force, something like a paintball pistol loaded with rubber or hard cased paintballs could be a decent use with the exception of the target possibly having a deadly weapon, you would want to have a backup. The actual paint could prove as a marking ability for identification also. I will also add that one company (cannot remember name) makes "paintballs" that have the equivilent of OC/ Pepper spray in it, I think it is a rapid foaming agent that also releases fumes but I dont remember exactly.

So tell me: Stupid Idea, or Plausible as the use(s) described above?

UnderTheRadar:
Do everything you can to avoid violence, including running away or fast talking if practical. 

If you have to defend yourself, go for the jugular, attack with your most lethal option and don't stop until they can not attack you again.  Paintball will just piss them off and throws away surprise.  If you drive them off with a paintball they will come back at night and light your house on fire, then shoot you as you come out.

UnderTheRadar

BigDanInTX:
In my opinion, you want as many deterrents as possible.  This is especially true if you are faced with teenagers.  You don't want to be "that person" who gunned down the 15-year-old who was just doing a prank or doing a little vandalism. 

However, you don't want to be caught in a situation where you were facing a small group of people and then suddenly become overwhelmed and beaten to death because you only had Less-Than-Lethal munitions.

The argument really is situational and can't be painted with such a big paintbrush as to whether or not it's a good option.  In some cases, sure.  If you are in a place you can readily retreat to a real weapon, I think it could work.  However, quelling a small mob with just a paintball gun will just get you injured or worse if they really put their minds to it.

Heavy G:

--- Quote from: BigDanInTX on March 18, 2009, 07:13:13 AM ---
The argument really is situational and can't be painted with such a big paintbrush as to whether or not it's a good option. 

--- End quote ---

Nice pun. 

I would be leery of paintball guns even with dumb teenagers.  Pre-SHTF they'll call the cops and sue you.  Post-SHTF they'll bring their friends with baseball bats.

BigDanInTX:
It actually wasn't even intentional...go figure!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version