The TSP Marketplace > Survival Gear Bags

What do you recommend for a GHB and BOB?

<< < (2/2)

The Professor:

--- Quote from: ConcoursRider on October 31, 2012, 04:15:55 AM ---REI has great service with custom fitting the bags, but I'd like to try and get something with camouflage if possible. The problem is that I don't believe many "retail" stores carry these types of bags. I'll have to check my local Army/Navy store.

--- End quote ---

I might suggest avoiding a camo pack.  It may actually stand out, in some situations.  If you need camo, get a couple yards of ripstop material in your favorite camo pattern,  cut it to fit the outside of your pack, sew a tunnel around the perimeter, thread some 550 cord through it and you can cover your pack as you need.  Get a second piece of material in your second-favorite pattern, sew it to the other side and you have a reversible camo.

Just a suggestion.

The Professor

cartpusher:
Great tip Professor.  Send me a PM if you have any interest in designing a kit for our store.

bcksknr:
I also agree with the Professer. I mainly stick to basic black for carry gear. It doesn't scream paramilitary, yet it tends to blend in; especially in an urban setting. There is no one perfect camo, but the reversible idea is a good option for different situations. On the road is one; in the woods is another. Don't forget the seasonal factor as well. I use dimensionally cut camo panels made out of Tyvek material when I go duck hunting. They are very light weight, strong and compress well. They can be found in a variety of Fall, marshy/woodland patterns (nothing urban however). Each panel is about 4X10 foot and is designed to make ground blinds for hunting and cover for duck boats. It would be easy to tailor a pack cover or personal camo poncho (ala Gilly suit) out of these. You can find these at most Farm & Fleet stores, or Walmart sporting deptartments. They aren't expensive either. A while back I got into a Forum discusion about whether adopting a "homeless guy" look (basically having nothing worth stealing) or a "Rambo" look (being too tough and scary to mess with) is preferable. The raggety-man pushing a rusty shopping cart may signal weakness as an easy target, while the well armed camo warrier is sure to attract all kinds of attention (one bullet is all it takes to take it all!). We never did come to a definitive conclusion. Just some food for thought.

ConcoursRider:

--- Quote from: cartpusher on October 31, 2012, 07:26:41 AM ---I would suggest this bag, Paladin Mission Expedition Pack:
http://survivalgearbags.com/pamipaexp.html

Or if you list of items gets really large you may want to bump up to this:
http://survivalgearbags.com/gcfcopabl.html

Do you have your vehicle with you when you are out for work? If so, I would take advantage of the storage space in the vehicle and then keep the pack a bit smaller.  Then if you have to head out on foot, you can grab the key items you will need for the given circumstances.  The Paladin one is nice in that it can shrink down, or expand out as needed.

--- End quote ---

I don't have a ton of room in my car especially in the trunk where I'll keep it.

--- Quote from: The Professor on October 31, 2012, 10:06:42 PM ---I might suggest avoiding a camo pack.  It may actually stand out, in some situations.  If you need camo, get a couple yards of ripstop material in your favorite camo pattern,  cut it to fit the outside of your pack, sew a tunnel around the perimeter, thread some 550 cord through it and you can cover your pack as you need.  Get a second piece of material in your second-favorite pattern, sew it to the other side and you have a reversible camo.

Just a suggestion.

The Professor

--- End quote ---

That's a great point Professor. I'd rather not attract any attention my way.

--- Quote from: bcksknr on November 01, 2012, 07:40:31 AM ---I also agree with the Professer. I mainly stick to basic black for carry gear. It doesn't scream paramilitary, yet it tends to blend in; especially in an urban setting. There is no one perfect camo, but the reversible idea is a good option for different situations. On the road is one; in the woods is another. Don't forget the seasonal factor as well. I use dimensionally cut camo panels made out of Tyvek material when I go duck hunting. They are very light weight, strong and compress well. They can be found in a variety of Fall, marshy/woodland patterns (nothing urban however). Each panel is about 4X10 foot and is designed to make ground blinds for hunting and cover for duck boats. It would be easy to tailor a pack cover or personal camo poncho (ala Gilly suit) out of these. You can find these at most Farm & Fleet stores, or Walmart sporting deptartments. They aren't expensive either. A while back I got into a Forum discusion about whether adopting a "homeless guy" look (basically having nothing worth stealing) or a "Rambo" look (being too tough and scary to mess with) is preferable. The raggety-man pushing a rusty shopping cart may signal weakness as an easy target, while the well armed camo warrier is sure to attract all kinds of attention (one bullet is all it takes to take it all!). We never did come to a definitive conclusion. Just some food for thought.

--- End quote ---

You make good points like the professor and I'm going to take everyone's advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version