Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Shrinking Your Closet?

(1/5) > >>

redbelliedhound:
I'm having issues figuring out exactly how much and what I need clothes-wise.  I'm interested in significantly decreasing the amount of clothing I have, but it's hard to figure out what I will need/want long term.  I'm currently in a work uniform five days a week and usually by the time I get home I just want to put on something comfy.  This makes it so I don't even really know what I like to wear anymore out of my own clothes.  I plan on eventually working mostly on a homestead as opposed to my current job.  Anyone have tips for minimizing?  What's a reasonable number of shirts, socks, pants, pajamas, dresses, etc etc? 

Cedar:

--- Quote from: redbelliedhound on November 15, 2014, 04:59:53 PM ---I plan on eventually working mostly on a homestead as opposed to my current job.  Anyone have tips for minimizing?  What's a reasonable number of shirts, socks, pants, pajamas, dresses, etc etc?

--- End quote ---

I wear men's Wrangler jeans, even though I am a woman. They are the only thing which stands up to my abuse. I literally wear 3-5 pair out a year. I try to keep 1-2 'good pairs' for going out. Depending on what I am doing, I may wear the same pair 2 days in a row. So I think I keep 4-6 pairs of jeans. I then buy new ones, rotate the 'good ones' to the work ones.

I have flannel PJ's as my sweatpants. I wear these when I come back into the house and want to sit on furniture. I am in and out of them, and my jeans 3-4x a day. I tend to do housework in them. Often I buy them right after Christmas, in the men's section as they are less expensive, thicker and better made.

1 pair of Carthart overalls.

I swear Z and I have 50 pairs of socks. We can go through 3 pairs in a day. Most of them are all white cotton thick men's socks. They go into a sock box in the closet, and we never match them, since they all match. I have my handknitted and 'girly' socks in my bottom drawer.

2 HEAVY duty hoodies.. which are all stained.

3 heavy duty sweatshirts.

I need to buy more cotton t-shirts. Z and I have a community pile of these as well (but these get folded). I stay away from his tied-dyed ones,...and he stays away from my pink ones. We tend to have 10-20 of these.

I have 2 dresses. One floral and fancy.. the other is my black funeral dress that I have had for at least 20 years. I wear neither as I don't have shoes to go with either.

1 pair of tennis, 1 pair of hot pink Crocs, 1 pair of tennis shoes, which need replacing after 4 months, 1 pair of $100 Muck boots, 1 pair good quality hiking boots, 1 pair of leather hiking boots.

1 light jacket, 1 heavy jacket, 1 parka

1 pair wool army pants, 1 pair snowmobile pants (which are for chores when it is really cold).

Most of all these clothes are consumables, except the dresses.

I am in the market for a new touque. Also in the market for 2 new bras. I hate bra shopping.

I will never be in a fashion magazine. No one notices my clothes in a good way. There are dilemmas when I am invited somewhere, I ought to get some nicer clothing.

Cedar

PorcupineKate:
I need to do this too. 

One recommendation I was given is to get rid of anything you haven't worn in a year.  I would keep a classic suit and timeless dress for weddings, funerals and the other rare occasions you need to dress up. 

Ms. Albatross:

--- Quote from: Cedar on November 15, 2014, 05:17:24 PM ---Also in the market for 2 new bras. I hate bra shopping.

Cedar

--- End quote ---

You and me both sister!!  Several years ago, I finally found a brand/style I liked at Walmart and bought them there ever since but last year they stopped carrying them.  Arrgh!  But luckily they sell them on Amazon.  Half of the reviews say the same thing - "I used to buy these at Walmart but they don't carry them anymore." 

redbelliedhound:

--- Quote from: Cedar on November 15, 2014, 05:17:24 PM ---I wear men's Wrangler jeans, even though I am a woman. They are the only thing which stands up to my abuse. I literally wear 3-5 pair out a year. I try to keep 1-2 'good pairs' for going out. Depending on what I am doing, I may wear the same pair 2 days in a row. So I think I keep 4-6 pairs of jeans. I then buy new ones, rotate the 'good ones' to the work ones.

I have flannel PJ's as my sweatpants. I wear these when I come back into the house and want to sit on furniture. I am in and out of them, and my jeans 3-4x a day. I tend to do housework in them. Often I buy them right after Christmas, in the men's section as they are less expensive, thicker and better made.

1 pair of Carthart overalls.

I swear Z and I have 50 pairs of socks. We can go through 3 pairs in a day. Most of them are all white cotton thick men's socks. They go into a sock box in the closet, and we never match them, since they all match. I have my handknitted and 'girly' socks in my bottom drawer.

2 HEAVY duty hoodies.. which are all stained.

3 heavy duty sweatshirts.

I need to buy more cotton t-shirts. Z and I have a community pile of these as well (but these get folded). I stay away from his tied-dyed ones,...and he stays away from my pink ones. We tend to have 10-20 of these.

I have 2 dresses. One floral and fancy.. the other is my black funeral dress that I have had for at least 20 years. I wear neither as I don't have shoes to go with either.

1 pair of tennis, 1 pair of hot pink Crocs, 1 pair of tennis shoes, which need replacing after 4 months, 1 pair of $100 Muck boots, 1 pair good quality hiking boots, 1 pair of leather hiking boots.

1 light jacket, 1 heavy jacket, 1 parka

1 pair wool army pants, 1 pair snowmobile pants (which are for chores when it is really cold).

Most of all these clothes are consumables, except the dresses.

I am in the market for a new touque. Also in the market for 2 new bras. I hate bra shopping.

I will never be in a fashion magazine. No one notices my clothes in a good way. There are dilemmas when I am invited somewhere, I ought to get some nicer clothing.

Cedar

--- End quote ---

Thank you Cedar!  This is super helpful seeing as I only do light gardening at the moment and wasn't exactly sure what would be useful for my future endeavors. 

(My husband was trying to get my attention meanwhile I'm waving to him "one second I'm reading."  I tell him what I'm reading and he says "I love Cedar's posts." :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version