Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Menstrual Cups

(1/9) > >>

AvenueQ:
I've seen menstrual cups mentioned in other threads on the forum, but there doesn't seem to be one dedicated specifically to them. This is my intention in creating this thread: To have a one-stop shop for information about them. They seem like a great item that every lady prepper should at least consider trying, if not using one part or full time. This is a place to share your experiences and ask questions.

I am thinking of switching over to these permanently when my current stock of tampons runs out. So, let's start off with any recommendations (I am under 30 and have not given birth or even been pregnant). I know that everyone is shaped slightly different and different brands and materials work better for some. What has been your experience? If you buy one and it's not the right fit does the company give a refund?

Does anyone have a good list of current products available?

LittleOwl:
Lol this should have a warning label on it "Not for the Faint of Heart". My period was a two box a week tampon habit ALWAYS backed up with overnight pads. I moved to the Diva Cup some time ago, and have never looked back. I do back up with panty liners, but they're usually unnecessary. I wish I'd found the Diva Cup when I was twelve. No pain - even on extraction - which I could never say for sure with tampons. The suction means less clotting and "mud".

Nope, the nature of the product is such that there's no refunds. Point being, would you want a cup that had been up a stranger's nether regions? But they're usually about $20-$40, and I promise, they pay for themselves. And there's way less discomfort than with tampons. They're smoother, have less pressure and are not shaped like a freaking stick... Whoever dreamed up the cotton stick on a string was a savage lol.... I can't help laughing about the post about the cattails -tampons growing by the creek! (I literally can't stop laughing)  You don't even notice the cup once its seated properly!

mountainmoma:
I have used one in the past, but it has been a few years.  I never heard of them when I was younger. I bought a newone for my dd, but I cant get her to try it. Besides her probably thinking that it is another one of moms eco- things to push, she is extremly active. Has anyone have experience using these when doing any sports ?

Frugal Upstate:
I bought one (diva cup).  Took me about 6 months to work up the courage to try it.

Getting it inserted & seated correctly at first was a little weird-but after a try or two got it down.  For removal it helps to sort of pinch before pulling on it-breaks the suction :).

I've used it at home and while out, but when I knew I could leave it in the entire time and deal with it when I got home.  I like to rinse & wash after I empty it before reinsertion, and I can't imagine doing that in a public multistall bathroom.  They don't need to be emptied often at my flow rate, and it's possible that I'm being over cautious.

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: LittleOwl on March 19, 2014, 09:13:55 PM ---Lol this should have a warning label on it "Not for the Faint of Heart".

--- End quote ---

I mean, I thought the title would be a dead giveaway ;)

--- Quote from: Frugal Upstate on March 20, 2014, 04:58:41 AM ---I've used it at home and while out, but when I knew I could leave it in the entire time and deal with it when I got home.  I like to rinse & wash after I empty it before reinsertion, and I can't imagine doing that in a public multistall bathroom.  They don't need to be emptied often at my flow rate, and it's possible that I'm being over cautious.

--- End quote ---

From what I've read they can be left in for 12 hours as long as they don't overflow, unlike tampons which have to be changed every 6 hours or so. Definitely with you in that I wouldn't want to have to rinse one in a public bathroom though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version