Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Lady Survivors

Giving birth at home

(1/5) > >>

ag2:
Heavy G's post made me think of this.  (you know which post I'm talking about)

My best friend and his wife delivered their last two kids at home.  No midwife, no doctor.  It wasn't by choice; kid number 2 arrived within minutes of arriving at the hospital.  Their doctor told them that future kids would arrive faster than they could get to the hospital and their doctor was right.

They went through some training and purchased the kits.  They got a midwife who was never able to arrive in time either.  I think the babies were delivered within 20 or 30 minutes of the start of labor.  By the time she arrived, she just said, "Good job dad, baby and mom both look healthy."

This may not apply to some of us who are older or who have taken preventative measures, but most of us would open our homes to our loved ones who may need to prep for something like this.

Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY):
While interesting and I wouldn't mind knowing more on how to manage this myself, the thought is also terrifying. I really need to make friends with Veterinarian.

Morning Sunshine:
we home birthed my last one.  In some ways I liked it.  A lot.  but, I felt like a bad hostess the entire time, cuz I was not making sure everyone (midwife, nurse, babysitter) had food, and was entertained while I was laboring.  I am not planning it again.  in fact, just after #4 was born, I started this thread that came up with some good information.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4123.msg39419#msg39419

MidnightMidwife:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on January 25, 2012, 02:13:12 AM ---I felt like a bad hostess the entire time, cuz I was not making sure everyone (midwife, nurse, babysitter) had food, and was entertained while I was laboring. 

--- End quote ---

Mom should not be doing anything but working on her labor.  Someone else should have been designated chief of staff.  I can't believe 'everyone' let you keep running around instead of laboring.

rustyknife:
Having witnessed both my sons births I would advise any man or husband to get some training if you plan on or have to do this at home. As a side note, bystanders and friends should be entertained and taking care of themselves and leave the birthing process to the mother. I was truly amazed at the process and  even though I had witnessed this with some animals it did not fully prepare me for what my wife went through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version