Author Topic: My New Baby  (Read 5728 times)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
My New Baby
« on: October 12, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »
I've been waiting a while to finish my AR.  I've been lacking the funds to buy an upper for it.  I posted an add about trading my 870 for an upper figuring I could trade the shotgun & a little cash to get my rifle finished.  Anyway, I was able to swap my 870 even for an upper, no cash involved. 

I think I got a great deal.  It's an older upper made by SWG which is now Olympic Arms, I believe.  This particular upper receiver doesn't have a shell deflector, I'm probably going to upgrade in the near future to a flat top anyway.  The barrel is a fluted H Bar, it's a bit heavy but my buddy who owns a gun shop said it's a nice barrel.  The lower is a DPMS & I paid $200 for it complete.  I changed the stock to a 6 position collapsible & added the hand guards.  Total cost for this rifle considering the 870 as $200, because that's what I paid for it, was $530.00 & that's pretty good for an AR.  It's definitely possible to build a nice rifle for not much money if you're patient and do a lot of looking.  Here are the pictures.

One with the wife's rifle because she gets jealous. ::)

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: My New Baby
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
Pretty sweet.  I really enjoy building the AR-15.  Not only do I build my own, but I build them for some of my relatives as well. The one in my picture is my latest build, I finished it a couple of month ago.  LMT upper, YHM Rifle length rail, M16 carrier, Stag lower and LPK, Magpul CTR buttstock and MIAD grip.  I have a DPMS lower in my safe waiting for me to decide what to do with it.  I am beginning to think KISS rifle.  One of these days I will be able to afford to register a SBR...that will be fun.  Again, sweet rifle, have you taken it to the range yet?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:02:51 PM »
Haven't taken it to the range yet.  I'm hoping to once I get my ammo ordered.   I'm hoping to buy a case soon.

I saw your rifle in your avatar, I figured she was yours.  It's a good looking piece.  Are you going with optics, or are you going to shoot irons for a while on it?  Looks primed for a nice piece of glass.  I'd hoped to find a mid-length upper for my lower but I think I ended up doing okay with the carbine.  I'd really like to have a mid-length with an 18" barrel, maybe in the future.

I showed a friend of mine my carbine & he liked it so well he had me order all the parts for an upper of his own.  We're going to put it together & then get him a lower to build.  It'll be his first AR.  These things are like crack, one leads to another & another & you know. ;D

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:34:37 PM »
Irons all the way.  I have taken all the glass off of all of my rifles.  I figure I can hit a man size target at 200+ yards with irons, that is good enough.  My picture was taken before my sights came in.  LMT irons.  As for a situation that may need glass, hunting...where I hunt it is rare to have more than 25 yards of clear visibility.  I hunt with either a .30-30 Marlin or a S&W.357 magnum, or both, depending on my mood; I have even been known to cary a shotgun.  Anyway, once I proved to myself I was capable of hitting longer distances without a scope, I took them all off of my rifles.  The deciding factor for me was ringing a steel silhouette at 200 yards with a bone stock 10/22.  I figure if I can do that with a .22, then I do not need the extra weight on my other rifles... ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:50:20 AM »
Irons all the way.  I have taken all the glass off of all of my rifles.  I figure I can hit a man size target at 200+ yards with irons, that is good enough.  My picture was taken before my sights came in.  LMT irons.  As for a situation that may need glass, hunting...where I hunt it is rare to have more than 25 yards of clear visibility.  I hunt with either a .30-30 Marlin or a S&W.357 magnum, or both, depending on my mood; I have even been known to cary a shotgun.  Anyway, once I proved to myself I was capable of hitting longer distances without a scope, I took them all off of my rifles.  The deciding factor for me was ringing a steel silhouette at 200 yards with a bone stock 10/22.  I figure if I can do that with a .22, then I do not need the extra weight on my other rifles... ;D

I'm a big advocate of irons as well, KISS as they say.  If it ain't there it can't get broke.

Like you, where I hunt the shots are usually under 50 yards.  Mixed hardwoods with enough secondary undergrowth to keep the shots pretty short, I hunt with an old Marlin 336 with irons.  I may have to go to a scope in the future, got my first pair of glasses this year, but I'm going to resist until I no longer can. 

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:04:13 AM »
...got my first pair of glasses this year... 

I have worn glasses for years.  If you can stand them, get contacts.  Shooting is much more enjoyable with them, although if you shoot black powder you will definitely want to use safety glasses to keep as much of that crap out of your eyes as possible.  If you regularly use safety glasses (I only use them at the indoor range), then you probably will not notice a difference.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
...got my first pair of glasses this year... 

I have worn glasses for years.  If you can stand them, get contacts.  Shooting is much more enjoyable with them, although if you shoot black powder you will definitely want to use safety glasses to keep as much of that crap out of your eyes as possible.  If you regularly use safety glasses (I only use them at the indoor range), then you probably will not notice a difference.

Good advice, thanks. 

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »
That's a beautiful AR, dude.
I noticed a Command Arms grip on there. Are those not the frickin' best feeling pistol grip you've handled.
I've got one on a AK of mine and it's big enough for my meaty paws but also streamlined and feels nice in my hand.
Great stuff man.  :)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
That's a beautiful AR, dude.
I noticed a Command Arms grip on there. Are those not the frickin' best feeling pistol grip you've handled.
I've got one on a AK of mine and it's big enough for my meaty paws but also streamlined and feels nice in my hand.
Great stuff man.  :)

Thanks!

Yeah they do feel great.  I bought it on a lark too, got lucky with that choice because my wife has smallish hands & I wanted to be able to customize the size for her, but then if I want to shoot it all it takes is swapping out the back of the grip.  It turned out to be the perfect option & much more comfortable for her than the MIAD.  I'm going to be getting one for mine as well.