Author Topic: maintaining a gun in the elements outdoors  (Read 3401 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
maintaining a gun in the elements outdoors
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:50 PM »

If you are basically camping all the time and say you have a single shot shotgun, some sort of primitive gun like a lever action rifle, or maybe a pistol, then my question is
how much of a problem could mositure and weather be to the gun ? Where do you store it in a primitive camp ? If you had to swim across the river with a gun, what would that do to the gun or what would be the effect on it ?

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: maintaining a gun in the elements outdoors
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 12:28:58 PM »
I have a boat gun in addition to my concealed carry that frequently are out in the rain, mist and salt water.  My concealed gun doensn't have much of a problem because it is easy to keep well oiled and is somewhat protected from direct rain and water.

The boat gun (807 express) is a different story.  I do have problems with surface rust on the exterior.  The matte finish is very hard to keep oiled and I find rust starts in the cracks and crevises.

Other than oiling, I don't have a great solution.  You could get alkosak (not sure of spelling) that are essentially big ziplock bags made of thick material and having a waterproof zipper.  I use them for passports while diving on vacation and remember they make them in rifle sizes for the military.

I have never sumberged a gun, but can only imagine what it would do to the internal parts you can't get to easily.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »

I have never sumberged a gun, but can only imagine what it would do to the internal parts you can't get to easily.

I guess life is not as easy as what you see on TV in the movies ..

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:49:40 PM »
I fished a rifle out of a river that a guy used to commit suicide with. He and the rifle had been in the river over a week. I was suprised how good of condition the rifle was in. The dead guy was a different story.