Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Killing wild rabbits

(1/3) > >>

mountainmoma:
I am being overrun with cotton tail bunnies, eating up the garden.  Yes, I know they themselves are good eating, but I am only on 2 1/2 acres, so guns can only be used for certain downward shots with a definite, absolute  dirt  backstop in some parts of the property.  I may get lucky for one or two that way with a scoped 22 and a subsonic round.

I have never made a snare or trap, and I need to not kill non-target species, like my cat. 

So, maybe someone here has good ideas on how to get the bunnys, now that we are safely past Easter ?

bigbear:
I trap and shot.  I'm on an acre, so I can't take free shots either.  But I'll set cage traps along fence lines and other known rabbit highways.  Sometimes I'll bait the cage (like when there's a lot of activity).  Other times, I'll just leave them open empty.  But instead of releasing the rabbits, I just shoot them in the cage with a .22.  I've taken care of groundhogs, possum, and raccoons this way as well.  I've caught a few cats too that just get released in the morning.  Don't leave the trap open when you're out of town for any length of time.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: bigbear on April 13, 2020, 01:39:21 PM ---I trap and shot.  I'm on an acre, so I can't take free shots either.  But I'll set cage traps along fence lines and other known rabbit highways.  Sometimes I'll bait the cage (like when there's a lot of activity).  Other times, I'll just leave them open empty.  But instead of releasing the rabbits, I just shoot them in the cage with a .22.  I've taken care of groundhogs, possum, and raccoons this way as well.  I've caught a few cats too that just get released in the morning.  Don't leave the trap open when you're out of town for any length of time.

--- End quote ---

Someone has just laoned me a live trap, but I need to sand/oil and get it to not stick and slam shut.  SO, assuming a catch a bunny, where do you shoot it ? I do have a 22 rifle and hand gun.  Best if I dont have to look it in the (cute little) eye

Stwood:
Back of the head.

If you don't want to do that, drop bunny and trap in a tub of water big enough to cover the trap up. Wait about ten minutes.
I do that with coons, as they are to messy to deal with shooting them in the trap.

Redman:
I got a large trap from local animal control recently for stray cats. I got tired of baiting it and seeing the bait eaten, trap shut and nothing in it. I took it back, Officer said the trap was working properly should catch cats but usually won't catch coons. He said he's seen coons go in far enough to get the bait and step on the trigger but they are large enough it doesn't shut. They back out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version