Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

New home, new psycho neighbor... any advice?

<< < (5/5)

Sailor:

--- Quote from: Wraith on October 02, 2018, 05:52:31 AM ---Unfortunately Indiana hasn't adopted the Purple paint law. I has been proposed a few times but keeps getting shot down because of the pork that is being added to the bill. I will get signage and post them this weekend. It just sucks that I have to deal with this nimrod. 'Tis life...

thanks for all the recommendations everyone.

--- End quote ---

Purple paint law is in effect now in Indiana.

Pathfinder:
I am a HUGE fan of barbed wire fences, but then, I used to be a cattle rancher. Still, they are a very clear and visible indicator of your property. Note that they do have problems though.
1. They can be cut2. The t-posts can be pulled from the ground3. They require labor and money to install, especially setting corner posts, which should be 4-6" wood posts braced together; I rented a Bobcat with an auger to install mine; more money
4. They absolutely need to be on the lot line or set back ONTO YOUR property based on the laws of the county and state5. A surveyor needs to be engaged to ensure #4 is satisfied, i.e., money/cost6. They need to be maintained - regularly; even if the neighbor leaves them alone (unlikely IMHO) there are all sorts of things that can happen to them naturally.

One idea not considered here yet is to have your lawyer send the neighbor a cease and desist letter, sent certified, copying the County Sheriff so they have that on file. Perhaps tied to a court order after you have documentation of the threats and trespassing. That way the Sheriff's deputies deliver it, as people seem to have found ways around denying that certified letters ever get delivered.
And, if the seller did not disclose the informal agreements before the sale, you have legal recourse against them as well. Double check the purchase agreement/contract to ensure that the neighbor's "rights" are not specified in the agreement/contract.

In many states what the neighbor is doing is considered an easement. I know in Illinois, if an easement is not removed in something like 17 years, the property becomes the possession of the easer, not the original owner. The Illinois Railway Museum lots dozens of acres of track rights they had been given by the railroads for abandoned track lines because they did nothing to stop local farmers from using the old track lines and the courts ruled that the land belonged to the farmers.
BTW, I chaired the Planning and Zoning commission for my town in ND, so this neighbor stuff, easements, set-backs, etc. are kinda familiar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version