Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Every Day Carry (EDC) Gear

My multi-tool quest.

<< < (2/16) > >>

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Docwatmo on July 29, 2015, 05:42:56 AM ---I also have a leatherman C33T knife which is really the hands down best minimalist multitool in my opinion.  It's got a great dedicated blade that's as good as any folding knife out there, but it still has the basic flat/cross bit screwdriver blades.  But that's all it has.  (Well, you can use the carabiner clip as a bottle opener too. LOL).   

--- End quote ---

I carry one of those when I run. Lightweight and just useful enough. Never really considered it more than a knife.  ;D

Chemsoldier:
I have been gravitating away from multi-tools.  The problem is I bought a smart phone.  Now I am running out of space on my belt between pistol, spare mag and phone.  The amount of belt space taken was getting irritating.  So I started throwing a small swiss army knife in my pocket and found out I didnt miss the multi-tool.  For my particular circumstances the knife blade is the only thing I used regularly enough to miss, so the folder worked fine.  Having a bottle opener and can opener was a one off that helps on camping trips and seemed worth the pocket bulk.

I still like multi-tools but they are spending more time attached to my battle gear than on my person.

endurance:

--- Quote from: Docwatmo on July 29, 2015, 05:42:56 AM ---I'm on the other side of the fence, I LOVE multitools.  I use them daily (I have a leatherman Charge ALX which I consider to be hands down the toughest most versitle multi tool out there.   But I also carry 2 knives minimum on me.  (A SAK Trekker and a CRKT M21).  So I have the dedicated blades covered (The blades on the Charge are some of the best I've used on Multi-tools, not quite as nice as a dedicated blade but they work well.   

I have completely abused my Charge a few times in emergencies when the proper tools were not available.  No, it's not going to torque something that takes a 10 inch wrench to break loose, but I thought I was going to twist it in half trying to unscrew some headlight covers that were rusted screws.

I also have a leatherman C33T knife which is really the hands down best minimalist multitool in my opinion.  It's got a great dedicated blade that's as good as any folding knife out there, but it still has the basic flat/cross bit screwdriver blades.  But that's all it has.  (Well, you can use the carabiner clip as a bottle opener too. LOL).   

But the feature that makes my Charge the hands down most useful is the bit kits.  The sheath has a pouch inside the back that stores a rack that has 10 double sided bits stored in it.  (I purchased the full bit kit which give me 3 racks with 60 bit ends total) and I pieced together the 10 bits (14 if you count the ones that are stored in the charge itself)  that were most useful for me.  10 sizes of allen heads (covers my Bow, my bike and many others), 4 sizes of flat bits. and 4 sizes of star drives and a double ended mini flat allen that actually fits my CRKT clip screws and other tiny screws.  And it also has the eyeglass bit that is used at least once a week if anything to get a chunk of meat out of my tooth. LOL   

I never use the serrated blade, and I basically keep the main blades surgically sharp for emergency cutting since I typically use the CRKT.  Never use the file or the can opener (P-38 works circles around any other style of can opener so its on my key-chain.  The saw is actually VERY good.  I've used it many times for small wooden contraptions. 

The pliers are great.  It has a crimp on the pliers that fits Coax, and most wireing crimps I've played with and a solid wire cutter (I have cut several hundred small brad nails with it for projects we do for scouts).  The wire cutters are getting worn, so I'll send it in to leatherman to be refurbished one of these days (If I can live without it that long). 

I have to agree with endurance. I've used a ton of sub-par multitools and they make way to many compromises to be anything more than a novelty.  But if you get the right one with the right combination of tools and functionality for your particular lifestyle and use. It's hands down the most usefull thing you can own.

--- End quote ---
That Charge sounds mighty tempting for my bunker gear, but I doubt it would end up replacing anything for me; it would just be one more thing contributing to the weight of my tool bag.  ...One more thing to make me walk funny when I have 60+ pounds of gear on. :o

(not pictured is the SCBA that contributes another 30-ish pounds)

Unfortunately, I get pro deal on Leatherman products through the fire department, so my urge to resist buying yet another tool may not last long. ::)

Docwatmo:

--- Quote from: Endurance on July 29, 2015, 08:28:55 AM ---
Unfortunately, I get pro deal on Leatherman products through the fire department, so my urge to resist buying yet another tool may not last long. ::)

--- End quote ---

Haa.  (You KNOW you need it, you KNOW you want it, Resistance is futile LOL).  I'm telling you, the bit kit makes it amazing, everything else is really just standard multitool, but the bit kit is just amazing.  I want to invent a click together T handle that fits the bits, then put 3 bit kits in the sheath (In place of the Charge) and the 2 piece T handle.  Yeah, I agree.  I prefer dedicated gear for specific jobs, but when I'm in my street clothes walking down the road, bouncing around at work, scout meetings, etc, it covers me great. 

I only carry a spare mag when I am going someplace I really don't want to go, but have to anyway.  (Generally certain areas of the major cities around me).  Otherwise, I keep 13+1 in the Springfield and I'm golden.    But I've been down the "Bat Belt" road back when I had my phone, my pager, my multi-tool, spare mag, holster and a belt clip water bottle (I only carry that in the field now).  Now I'm down to just the XD and the Leatherman, with the SAK on my enchain and the CRKT on my right pocket.   

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Endurance on July 29, 2015, 08:28:55 AM ---That Charge sounds mighty tempting for my bunker gear, but I doubt it would end up replacing anything for me; it would just be one more thing contributing to the weight of my tool bag.  ...One more thing to make me walk funny when I have 60+ pounds of gear on. :o

(not pictured is the SCBA that contributes another 30-ish pounds)

--- End quote ---

The Leatherman is nice if you have belt room (nod to Chem; good point). I really like the quality of its tools. I just can't drop it in my pocket around the house and cabin where tool needs seem to pop up. It only really loses as an eating tool as it was built for industrial purposes.

The pink flowery screwdriver sure is cute...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version