Energy Options > Wind Power

Alternative Wind Turbine Models

(1/1)

ebonearth:
I was skimming the internet on one of my regular searches for wind turbine designs and although Makani Power looks amazing, I do not see how it would be replicated by someone like me. If the Crosswind kite wind energy model (a PDF report is found here) is as good as the hype then it would be an excellent way to deal with NIMBY problems and noise ordinances, since let's face it, a kite just isn't known for the noise it makes. I was also looking at Popular Science's invention of the year, the Selsam Supertwin wind turbine. At 2Kw on such a small footprint it definitely looks like the sort of contraption that could be replicated by the home tinkerer or at least use that design to inspire less linear but more efficient weays of harnessing wind power. Now there's the heliwind movement while still in the impractical theoretical stages, a 50Kw turbine for $20K simply cannot be put aside.

Thoughts?

DDrew:

--- Quote from: ebonearth on April 03, 2009, 01:19:23 PM ---I was skimming the internet on one of my regular searches for wind turbine designs and although Makani Power looks amazing, I do not see how it would be replicated by someone like me. If the Crosswind kite wind energy model (a PDF report is found here) is as good as the hype then it would be an excellent way to deal with NIMBY problems and noise ordinances, since let's face it, a kite just isn't known for the noise it makes. I was also looking at Popular Science's invention of the year, the Selsam Supertwin wind turbine. At 2Kw on such a small footprint it definitely looks like the sort of contraption that could be replicated by the home tinkerer or at least use that design to inspire less linear but more efficient weays of harnessing wind power. Now there's the heliwind movement while still in the impractical theoretical stages, a 50Kw turbine for $20K simply cannot be put aside.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

I agree that these are alternatives for wind energy, and if your looking for something in the DIY class, for wind energy, you may want to consider what I'm doing.  I found an older RV, and we're using the electrical system from it (12v to 110v inverter and batteries), and repurposing it into the 'off-grid' electrical storage system in the house we're building.  There are a number of low cost wind turbines that provide 12v DC, and can be tied into the inverter, as it will charge the batteries.  I found an 'Air-X' brand turbine that has a nice power curve, very low wind speed startup curve, and it was in the $500 price range. It's quiet too. If I want something bigger, there are plans for DIY kits to make a larger turbine, as well.  If you live in an area with a HOA, or strict zoning laws, then you may have a problem, as these wind turbines can definitely draw out the NIMBY crowd.  I live in a rural area, with no zoning, and so that's not a problem here. I'm still in the design stages, of deciding what to use with 12v DC, and what to use with 110v AC current, and trying to find the best of both worlds, so I can minimize my electrical loads, and push electricity back out the meter (netmetering), instead of paying for it every month.

I do like the idea of that wind kite system, that's kinda cool, but would attract lots of 'looky loos' and give alot more attention than I care to have.  I'm thinking of building a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) to drive the generator, but that's still on my wish list.

Hope this helps,

Dale Drew
Springtown, Tx

Browncoat:

--- Quote from: DDrew on April 21, 2009, 08:12:59 AM ---I'm thinking of building a vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) to drive the generator, but that's still on my wish list.

--- End quote ---

A HAWT would be much more efficient.  VAWTs suffer from inefficiencies derived from the changing angle of attack of the blades and the drag caused by that.  I don't have the figures onhand, but I think they're in the 20-30% range where HAWTs are in the 50-60% range or higher.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version