Energy Options > Wind Power

Skystream 3.7 Wind Generator

(1/1)

survival_knight:
Listening to the podcast before the holidays I heard mention of the solar panels that are able to direct connect to an AC grid tied system...plug and play...and set about looking for a wind system that would do the same.  I believe both are needed in my area for reducing grid reliance.

I stumbled across this the other day was wondering what forum's thoughts were.  Still working on getting a price.

sold by a company out of Flagstaff, AZ.

http://www.windenergy.com/documents/spec_sheets/3-CMLT-1338-01_Skystream_spec.pdf

AtADeadRun:
If you've got good wind density, it's a neat idea, but will depend on pricing.  Like all horizontal-axis machines, it's got a relatively high cut-in speed (8 mph in this case), so in places where the wind isn't consistently blowing fast enough to be irritating, you're not going to get much.  Places with wind that consistently ranges between 12 and 20 mph are going to see the greatest benefit from these things.  A little Google Fu indicates that the price is between $6200 and $6800, not including tower ($1200 to $2500, probably), installation, and interconnection.

2kW runs about $.06 every hour (around here, anyway), so under optimal operating conditions of 12 to 20mph 24 hours a day to amortize the turbine and tower it's about 15 years.  That doesn't take the advantages of independence into account, of course.

Cacinok:
w/ the skystream 3.7 you're looking at about 400 kwh/ month w/ a steady 12 mph wind.  on certain days our house uses more than that. 

wind is not very economical.  great to have during SHTF, but it'll take forever to recover your investment if you buy everything off the shelf and pay to have it installed.

Stein:
I haven't seen a product (wind or pv) that can be direct connected to the grid.  The reason is that the inverter typically modifies the voltage wave as well as performs critical grid interconnect functions.  In a nutshell, a critical function is disconnecting your generation from the grid in the event of power failure so that your generation doesn't electrocute the guy working on the power lines.

All the pv generates dc which requires an inverter for all systems including stand-alone unless you want to connect directly to a battery and are able to charge manually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version