Energy Options > Wind Power

AeroTurbine

<< < (2/3) > >>

chris:
Thanks Truik!

Mad_Man:

--- Quote from: chris on January 16, 2010, 03:20:30 PM ---Anyone seen cost or output info?

--- End quote ---

I would bet the output would not be very high.  I noticed the drive train was a chain drive to an automotive alternator.  If the output is not high, then these would not cost/benefit out.  It is kind of cool to capture some of the wind energy around buildings, but the idea buildings would become energy producers with these is laughable.  (They may run the computers inside)  I do not know how well these turbines could scale up.  But then, bigger windmills mean bigger loads on buildings, this means stronger buildings, this means more cost, materials, etc.

Did anyone notice the windmill at 0:45 in the video?  It was not turning.  That's the problem with wind.  One problem we have here in central Florida is the winds are non-existant, or 70 mph.  A shame we cannot tame lightning...

Truik:

--- Quote from: Mad_Man on January 16, 2010, 05:40:53 PM ---I would bet the output would not be very high.  I noticed the drive train was a chain drive to an automotive alternator.  If the output is not high, then these would not cost/benefit out.  It is kind of cool to capture some of the wind energy around buildings, but the idea buildings would become energy producers with these is laughable.  (They may run the computers inside)  I do not know how well these turbines could scale up.  But then, bigger windmills mean bigger loads on buildings, this means stronger buildings, this means more cost, materials, etc.

Did anyone notice the windmill at 0:45 in the video?  It was not turning.  That's the problem with wind.  One problem we have here in central Florida is the winds are non-existant, or 70 mph.  A shame we cannot tame lightning...

--- End quote ---

You certainly don't want to run a regular automotvie alternator. You want a permanent magnet generator.

http://www.windynation.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31

As far as wind speeds, get something applicable for your area:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/tribalenergy/guide/images/us_windmap%28crop%29.gif

And, remember, even intermittent wind is intermittent 24-hours a day. There is NO chance of the sun coming out sporadically at night to light up a solar panel.

;)

Mad_Man:

--- Quote from: Truik on January 16, 2010, 05:58:56 PM ---As far as wind speeds, get something applicable for your area:

And, remember, even intermittent wind is intermittent 24-hours a day. There is NO chance of the sun coming out sporadically at night to light up a solar panel.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Florida is a big Zero on the map.  The big trouble here is we get gusts during summer T-storms that reach 70 mph in the afternoon, but it was 2 mph that morning.  I am not opposed to wind power, it just does not work here in Florida very well (cost effective).  Now solar is a different story. 

The nice thing about solar power is the sun will come up tomorrow (at least according to that stupid song)

Truik:

--- Quote from: Mad_Man on January 16, 2010, 06:39:59 PM ---Yeah, Florida is a big Zero on the map.  The big trouble here is we get gusts during summer T-storms that reach 70 mph in the afternoon, but it was 2 mph that morning.  I am not opposed to wind power, it just does not work here in Florida very well (cost effective).  Now solar is a different story. 

The nice thing about solar power is the sun will come up tomorrow (at least according to that stupid song)

--- End quote ---

Yep. I just wish I had Daddy Warbucks' cash so I could install a grid-tie system that gets a check sent to me every month by the utility company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version