Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

I used my preps today...

<< < (2/216) > >>

NorIDhunter:
When my nephew came up from CA in late Aug. for my daughter's wedding, he saw some of our preps and tried to ridicule them, "What the hell disaster are you getting ready for?"
"Unemployment." was my simple reply. "You never know."

Well, sure enough, I got let go from my job at the beginning of Oct and the employer has contested the UI. Found a new job last week (less pay/less hours for now) but won't get paid until after Thanksgiving. It's been a great help, and a huge load off my/wife's shoulders, knowing that we and the dogs wouldn't go hungry. .

This has been one of my greatest fears though; that our preps will get depleted just before "The Perfect Storm" hits.  :(

idelphic:

--- Quote from: NorIDhunter on November 15, 2011, 06:31:41 AM ---When my nephew came up from CA in late Aug. for my daughter's wedding, he saw some of our preps and tried to ridicule them, "What the hell disaster are you getting ready for?"
"Unemployment." was my simple reply. "You never know."

Well, sure enough, I got let go from my job at the beginning of Oct and the employer has contested the UI. Found a new job last week (less pay/less hours for now) but won't get paid until after Thanksgiving. It's been a great help, and a huge load off my/wife's shoulders, knowing that we and the dogs wouldn't go hungry. .

This has been one of my greatest fears though; that our preps will get depleted just before "The Perfect Storm" hits.  :(

--- End quote ---

Prepping is no different in my mind as having insurance.  You don't plan to wreck your car,.. but you have insurance in case you do,..

I'm sorry to hear of the job loss, this is my fear also, having already done it before.

I have the same fear - the perfect storm..

MrThirteen:
A few times my preps have been utilized.
1. Real hard day at work and do not have time to run by bank in the daylight hours for cash. Pulled a little cash from the SHTF reserve at home.
2. Another hard day, forget to prep for dinner. Pull MH spaghetti from preps, family fed and happy.
3. Go house sit for friends ( more pet sit than house sit) youngest son forgets a belt. Make a belt with Paracord in GHB and one of the knives and BIC lighter in my EDC. Child thinks he has the coolest Dad ever.

This all happened in the last week.

ChEng:

--- Quote from: MrThirteen on November 20, 2011, 11:54:09 AM ---...
3. ... Make a belt with Paracord in GHB and one of the knives and BIC lighter in my EDC. Child thinks he has the coolest Dad ever.

--- End quote ---

Looks like you need to change your name from Mr. Thirteen to Mr. Cool  ;D - Nice going Dad.

idelphic,

What was the rolled up copper for?  How do you use copper wire for an oil lamp?

Adam Campbell:
Peopke CONSTANTLY make fun of me for my preparedness and my girlfriend thinks it is a pain in the ass BUT... To prove I am not some idiot waiting for 2012 here are 3 stupid example of how my preps came in handy in the last month.

1. The 50 gallons of stored water from the Berkey filter came in handy when the city was replacing the water main on our street and our water was shut off every day for 2 weeks. I use plastic 2 litre bottles now for many reasons -- including being indestructible by a 2 year old throwing them on rocks all weekend while camping.

2. The 2 liter bottles in my Jeeps toolbox came in handy when my daughters boyfriend was thirsty and was going to buy a bottle of water from a vending machine.

3. Having about 6 electric heaters came in handy while we have been trying to figure out why our furnace keep going dead in the middle of the night.

So all you nutjobs waiting for 2012 -- Keep it up! You never know when your preps will help someone who is making fun of you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version