Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags

<< < (45/46) > >>

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Endurance on April 04, 2016, 10:40:02 AM ---The 2400 and 3600 calorie rations kind of make me chuckle. Those that rely on a 3600 calorie lifeboat ration to get them through 72 hours on the run or in cold weather haven't thought this out very well. While having them as a part of a bug out bag isn't a bad idea, a person on the move or in cold weather is going to be burning 2400-4500 calories a day. Hell, I've had 9,000 calorie days doing exceedingly hard pushes over the course of 12-24 hours. Besides that, even the Millenium Bars aren't appetizing enough to obtain 100% of your calories for a day.

A much better solution is to incorporate traditional hiking foods with reasonable shelf life. Things like trail mix (aka GORP), Clif Bars, cheese and crackers, salty snacks (chips & nuts), and chewy foods like gummy bears will keep you moving. If you need something to warm you up, chicken or beef bullion, ramen, and mashed potatoes are easy to heat and eat.

Yes, I have lifeboat rations and Millenium Bars as a part of my preps, but you should never lean on them to supply 100% of your calories when you're trying to cover ground.

--- End quote ---

Totally agree and I love the comedy of it. As a 15 year old I was assigned a task from a biology teacher to figure out my daily calorie consumption. He balked when I turned in my assignment and estimated 7,500 per day. Mind you I was biking 3 miles to school at 5:30 to hit the weight room early and running 5-8 miles on the track team each afternoon before biking home. My dad wrote a letter assuring that my work was correct. Something along the line of "I can assure you that half a chicken, 4 potatoes, 2 ears of corn, and a head of broccoli are a normal dinner for David".

Preppers in general need to be reminded the caloric need of exertion. Muhammad Ali and George Foreman trained for the heavyweight title by chopping down trees. This hurts because I'm a Frazier fan (I'm a left hook fighter too) but also because it brings to mind the hardship on the body that these outdoor survival methods force on us. I doubt any of us are the total athlete of Ali or the powerhouse of Foreman. But you gotta fuel that beast if you're going to work on that level.

DonC:
I'm probably not going to post pics. Needless to say, I have a fairly good mix of everyone's bags already. Like Carl, mine weighs in at just under 30lbs. But I have enough stuff in there for my wife and I. I'm retired military, so as you can imagine, carrying a measly 30lbs is no sweat. Also, you can bet that I've collected a fair amount of gear over my lengthy military career! It will never truly be complete. But I do use my items and replace immediately. It helps me keep my stock rotated! I also have several little EDC rings that contain firestarters, multitools, cordage, etc. These are small enough to carry everywhere, everyday. I have a set, my wife has a set, and we each have one in our vehicles! Of course, I exercise my 2nd amendment right daily, so security isn't usually an issue. Can I shoot, (1 shot, 1 kill) I don't mame! My wife has her gun and she can shoot alright too! Of course, I always carry a knife or two.

endurance:

--- Quote from: RuggedCyclist on April 04, 2016, 12:28:24 PM ---If they were actually something I could eat without getting sick (gluten problems), I would keep a couple as snacks on the run.
A couple of them in a jacket/vest pocket would be valid as a backup if you had to part with your bag though wouldn't you think?

I wouldn't want to rely on them completely though, even if I could eat more than a little bit without getting sick.

--- End quote ---
I didn't say don't have them at all. I have one and several Millenium bars in my trunk right now. However, I also have a box of 18 (probably down to 12, now) packages of Costco trail mix, a half dozen of my favorite Clif Bars, my favorite MRE elements (crackers and cheese/jam/PB, potato strings, poppy seed shortbread and ranger bars), and a jar of bullion cubes. Sometimes there will also be a package of fig newtons, sometimes Girl Scout cookies, sometimes beef jerky, but always over 10k calories of food I like eating on the go. Heck, I keep trail mix in my bunker pockets for long fire calls. This boy enjoys his food.

Greekman:

--- Quote from: Endurance on April 04, 2016, 10:40:02 AM ---The 2400 and 3600 calorie rations kind of make me chuckle. Those that rely on a 3600 calorie lifeboat ration to get them through 72 hours on the run or in cold weather haven't thought this out very well. While having them as a part of a bug out bag isn't a bad idea, a person on the move or in cold weather is going to be burning 2400-4500 calories a day. Hell, I've had 9,000 calorie days doing exceedingly hard pushes over the course of 12-24 hours. Besides that, even the Millenium Bars aren't appetizing enough to obtain 100% of your calories for a day.

--- End quote ---

Endurance, judging by your hiking experience.....
Supposing the one has 5000 calories in his backpack and rations them for 3 days.
Then the "bugout run" becomes a 5 day one.
At what point would he see significantly diminished performance? (say resting more time than being active)

machinisttx:
I suspect that would depend a great deal on the actual caloric deficit. If you are burning 5k and replacing half, you'd be better off than if you were burning 8k and only replacing 2500.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version