Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags

<< < (44/46) > >>

endurance:
The 2400 and 3600 calorie rations kind of make me chuckle. Those that rely on a 3600 calorie lifeboat ration to get them through 72 hours on the run or in cold weather haven't thought this out very well. While having them as a part of a bug out bag isn't a bad idea, a person on the move or in cold weather is going to be burning 2400-4500 calories a day. Hell, I've had 9,000 calorie days doing exceedingly hard pushes over the course of 12-24 hours. Besides that, even the Millenium Bars aren't appetizing enough to obtain 100% of your calories for a day.

A much better solution is to incorporate traditional hiking foods with reasonable shelf life. Things like trail mix (aka GORP), Clif Bars, cheese and crackers, salty snacks (chips & nuts), and chewy foods like gummy bears will keep you moving. If you need something to warm you up, chicken or beef bullion, ramen, and mashed potatoes are easy to heat and eat.

Yes, I have lifeboat rations and Millenium Bars as a part of my preps, but you should never lean on them to supply 100% of your calories when you're trying to cover ground.

Greekman:
funny thing is such critisism usually comes from th e"military" tacticool" dudes.
Once i was scolded by being called a munchy for carrying 8000+ calories in by BOB

Carl:

--- Quote from: Greekman on April 04, 2016, 11:25:36 AM ---funny thing is such critisism usually comes from th e"military" tacticool" dudes.
Once i was scolded by being called a munchy for carrying 8000+ calories in by BOB

--- End quote ---

I plan to 'supersize' a happy meal at McDonalds on my way out of town. ;)

endurance:

--- Quote from: Carl on April 04, 2016, 11:36:18 AM ---I plan to 'supersize' a happy meal at McDonalds on my way out of town. ;)

--- End quote ---
That's probably more calories than a lifeboat full of rations.

RuggedCyclist:

--- Quote from: Endurance on April 04, 2016, 10:40:02 AM ---The 2400 and 3600 calorie rations kind of make me chuckle. Those that rely on a 3600 calorie lifeboat ration to get them through 72 hours on the run or in cold weather haven't thought this out very well. While having them as a part of a bug out bag isn't a bad idea, a person on the move or in cold weather is going to be burning 2400-4500 calories a day. Hell, I've had 9,000 calorie days doing exceedingly hard pushes over the course of 12-24 hours. Besides that, even the Millenium Bars aren't appetizing enough to obtain 100% of your calories for a day.

A much better solution is to incorporate traditional hiking foods with reasonable shelf life. Things like trail mix (aka GORP), Clif Bars, cheese and crackers, salty snacks (chips & nuts), and chewy foods like gummy bears will keep you moving. If you need something to warm you up, chicken or beef bullion, ramen, and mashed potatoes are easy to heat and eat.

Yes, I have lifeboat rations and Millenium Bars as a part of my preps, but you should never lean on them to supply 100% of your calories when you're trying to cover ground.

--- End quote ---

If they were actually something I could eat without getting sick (gluten problems), I would keep a couple as snacks on the run.
A couple of them in a jacket/vest pocket would be valid as a backup if you had to part with your bag though wouldn't you think?

I wouldn't want to rely on them completely though, even if I could eat more than a little bit without getting sick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version