Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Emergency Preparations

Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags

<< < (43/46) > >>

bcksknr:
    Just to throw out a little food for thought, a couple of times in conversation about having some basics set aside for emergencies, I've had individuals say " I don't need to prepare, I just need a gun and where the Preppers live". Kind of scary, if they really meant it. As far as being on the road with a BOB it's probably well to keep in mind that the ratio of the prepared (you) to the clueless and desperate (most of them) is not in your favor. We've all seen what it looks like when a food truck pulls into a refugee camp; total chaos. I don't want to be the guy who looks like he has anything of use, when I walk among the panicky hordes.
     Even the Walking Dead folks could safely pass through the massed zombies if they looked, moved and smelled like them. The problem with "Grey Man" camo is that sturdy outdoor boots and clothing along with a well fitting pack of essentials, is hard to disguise as just another victim trudging down the highway of abandoned vehicles. I've been thinking of working on a "Bug Out Vest" that could be concealed under a loose old jacket. Trying to hide enough gear for a couple of days on the road shouldn't be too hard, but it will mean cutting back to the bare bones. I'll have to work on that.
     I'm hoping that there will be a couple of days window of civility before people get desperate enough to start preying on each other. That should be the time to get to where you need to go. Even during Katrina, the "lawless" looters seemed to be more interested in stealing luxury goods than essentials. They seemed to attack stores rather than other people for "stuff". Given time, hunger and thirst combined with absent law enforcement, it could have gotten really ugly. I guess it's just a matter of scale. Any thoughts? 

endurance:

--- Quote from: bcksknr on April 03, 2016, 09:46:36 AM ---    Just to throw out a little food for thought, a couple of times in conversation about having some basics set aside for emergencies, I've had individuals say " I don't need to prepare, I just need a gun and where the Preppers live". Kind of scary, if they really meant it. As far as being on the road with a BOB it's probably well to keep in mind that the ratio of the prepared (you) to the clueless and desperate (most of them) is not in your favor. We've all seen what it looks like when a food truck pulls into a refugee camp; total chaos. I don't want to be the guy who looks like he has anything of use, when I walk among the panicky hordes.
     Even the Walking Dead folks could safely pass through the massed zombies if they looked, moved and smelled like them. The problem with "Grey Man" camo is that sturdy outdoor boots and clothing along with a well fitting pack of essentials, is hard to disguise as just another victim trudging down the highway of abandoned vehicles. I've been thinking of working on a "Bug Out Vest" that could be concealed under a loose old jacket. Trying to hide enough gear for a couple of days on the road shouldn't be too hard, but it will mean cutting back to the bare bones. I'll have to work on that.
     I'm hoping that there will be a couple of days window of civility before people get desperate enough to start preying on each other. That should be the time to get to where you need to go. Even during Katrina, the "lawless" looters seemed to be more interested in stealing luxury goods than essentials. They seemed to attack stores rather than other people for "stuff". Given time, hunger and thirst combined with absent law enforcement, it could have gotten really ugly. I guess it's just a matter of scale. Any thoughts?

--- End quote ---
I tend to agree that most of the looting and unlawful behavior I've seen in American riots is targeting useless stuff, like flat screen TVs, clothes, etc. That's not to say that pattern will always hold, but it has in most cases for the first few days. That's why I carry enough cash for one last shopping trip where I can buy stuff that doesn't store well, like oil, batteries and seed potatoes. I won't be the guy disappointed to see the canned food aisle empty, that's the easy stuff to store.

RuggedCyclist:

--- Quote from: bcksknr on April 03, 2016, 09:46:36 AM ---    Just to throw out a little food for thought, a couple of times in conversation about having some basics set aside for emergencies, I've had individuals say " I don't need to prepare, I just need a gun and where the Preppers live". Kind of scary, if they really meant it. 

--- End quote ---

I think we should all start explaining to people who say that, that preppers have guns too... and they tend to have training. And explain that if you need to get in a gunfight whenever you need to eat, the odds are not in your favor.

As for the rest of it, you still want a full BOB for every day disasters that get fixed before people start looting because they're starving.

As for the vest idea, you could have a modular system. Have a BOB, and a vest with minimalist gear. There 2400 calorie ration bars, a canteen pouch, and water purification tablets is all you'd really need and it doesn't weigh hardly anything. This allows you to drop the BOB if need be and still have supplies. Use a tactical vest kitted up with mags and ammo and it doubles as a patrol rig when you're at your retreat, if your plans include such things.

Also, wear good quality boots anyways. Just kick around in the dirt so they look like old work boots.

Based on how people react to disasters in the past, like what you said about people going after useless crap when they loot, you really should be home by the time people start targeting people who look like they have food and supplies.

Carl:
One should KIT in layers as he dresses in layers.
1.Every day carry.
2.A DAY PACK with first aide,food,water
3.a pack full of stuff you will need
4. a truck load of stuff you think you need
5. documents bag

1 and 2 are all you need if you have a BOL (place to go to) or pre-positioned supply (storage locker)
To bug out is of little value ,if you have no set destination to go to.
A HOME is a place of shelter,comfort,and safety....I would not leave my home unless I were in REAL DANGER...as just exposure would
be enough to finish my story

Stwood:
Some awesome replies here.
Things to sleep on.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version