Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

Kosher Survivalism

(1/3) > >>

Jwatt:
I don't know how many survivalists out there keep kosher (or have other dietary restrictions - religious or otherwise) but I wanted to start a place where people could trade:
A) Information about how to obtain food that meets their dietary needs

B)Address some of the issues involved in maintaining a kosher diet when TSHTF

Obtaining most staple foods is not a problem.  Rice, beans, grains etc are all naturally kosher unless they are processed or precooked with added flavors, preservatives etc.  In that case it would need to be certified as kosher. 

Other items like canned soups, canned meat and fruit, MRE's etc.  are not kosher and must be certified. 

I a real life or death situation one may temporarily suspend the obligation of keeping kosher to survive but in the long run the principals of kashrut must be upheld. 

The biggest problem for the kosher consumer is meat.  Kosher meat must be specially slaughtered and that requires a lot of training and skill.  You probably won't be slaughtering cows but chickens are a good bet. 

As for cheap kosher staples like pasta, I have found great bargains at Trader Joes.  In Los Angeles, Persian supermarkets have good deals on kosher spices.  Rice and beans I get cheaply at any supermarket. 

Anything else you got to share about surviving kosher or with any other dietary restriction is welcome and appreciated.

kimrpeterson:
Jwatt, It has become almost impossible for me to be kosher since I don't live where there is a large (or even small) observant Jewish population.  I decided several years ago the only solution for me was to eat vegetarian with the occasional fish meals.  You might try stocking up on canned tuna and salmon that are certified kosher.  If TSHTF, I believe you could still have some great meals stocked up and stay observant. 

Jwatt:
No doubt but I don't want to spend a fortune in the kosher markets stocking up on a few months of supplies.  I also don't want to be stuck with just plain rice and beans, so for the few of us out there, it would be nice to share info about cheap kosher foods out there that you might find in your local grocery. 

Whenever I am out in your neck of the woods I always bring the fresh foods - meat, cheese, hard to find specialty items but most other things I can get at the local supermarket in town (pankakes and syrup!)

BTW - my family and I are thinking of going up to Big Bear for New Year's weekend.  Any suggestions for places to stay?

creuzerm:
I know i will need to be taking this into consideration after I get married.
I already am tending towards buying groceries that she can eat, just out of consideration for her now. I am also trying to eat up the stuff in storage that she can't eat.
She is fine with it being on the pantry, she just won't eat it. Which means I try not to bring it into the house. :)

I know I have a good assortment of stuff now, and so will be now focusing on the basics, and the ability to 'put up' the more basic food items that I can prepare or finish myself for long term storage.

Jwatt:
Creuzerm,
Good looking out for your wife to be! 
Does she have special dietary needs or is she just picky about what she likes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version