Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

griz ..

<< < (2/7) > >>

trekker111:
There really isn't any low cost reliable option for under $300, except for the already mentioned 12 gauge pump loaded with slugs. The issue there is getting her to take it along when she rides.

The better idea would be a lever action carbine in 45-70, 450 Marlin, or 444, bit you aren't going to get one for <$300, and probably not less than $500.

The only way I would recommend a handgun is if it is a big magnum revolver, and she is willing to practice and get proficient with it. Something like a 454 casull, 460 s&w, 480 Ruger, 500 s&w, but now we are talking $$$$. Even used you would be looking at $800 territory, and she would still be better off with a carbine chambered for one of those.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was an interview with a bear guide that was asked about a recommendation for a grizzly defense pistol, his reply was basically that it didn't matter what kind if pistol it was as long as the hammer and front sight are removed, that way it hurts less when the bear shoves it up your..... That always pops into my mind when I see a hand gun for bear discussion.

endurance:
A $40 can of bear spray. If you look at the research of the topic, handguns are effective at stopping an attack less than 50% of the time and even many rifle encounters with rifles result in the person getting hurt before the animal dies. Bear spray is much more effective because bears have a history of encounters with skunks and know that further attacks will be futile and uncomfortable.

I believe university of Montana, Missoula published a study looking at over 100 grizzly encounters and bear spray was the most effective tool at stopping an attack. Do your own research.

Carl:
The $15 slam fire shotgun from another thread and a box of slugs will get you on budget for under $50, and she can decorate it with a woodlands pattern.

surfivor:
she has bear spray but apparently has thought about a gun as well and to be able to put down the horse and for other self defense .. She says she likes to travel light and the shotgun might be too much .. if that's the case then there's no other option

trekker111:

--- Quote from: Endurance on October 11, 2016, 01:15:25 AM ---A $40 can of bear spray. If you look at the research of the topic, handguns are effective at stopping an attack less than 50% of the time and even many rifle encounters with rifles result in the person getting hurt before the animal dies. Bear spray is much more effective because bears have a history of encounters with skunks and know that further attacks will be futile and uncomfortable.

I believe university of Montana, Missoula published a study looking at over 100 grizzly encounters and bear spray was the most effective tool at stopping an attack. Do your own research.

--- End quote ---

I've sprayed alot of animals over the years, never had anything better than mediocre results.

This guy should have been driving to the hospital instead of filming, but it shows the effectiveness of only carrying bear spray.
https://youtu.be/tK609rbSBLs

The only sure way to stop a threat, man, bear, or otherwise,  is copper jacketed lead tearing through the central nervous system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version