Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

All Band Single Wire Antenna,The Zeppelin

<< < (18/19) > >>

Carl:
To float this gem to the top and add a simple modification...ladder line is NOT NEEDED as I us twin conductor wire called ZIP CORD,LAMP CORD,POWER CORD and even SPEAKER WIRE and prefer 12 or 14 gauge though even speaker wire of 20 gauge or so works and makes for a thin ,lightweight antenna that may break ,but is great for temporary installs.Just cut the 'short side' to length and save it for later.

Lamewolf:
I wonder what the swr looks like on this antenna on the various bands without a tuner ?

Carl:

--- Quote from: Lamewolf on July 13, 2018, 11:14:29 AM ---I wonder what the swr looks like on this antenna on the various bands without a tuner ?

--- End quote ---

It probablyreally sucks...but as you don't run this antenna without a tuner...It does not matter  The tuner allows the radio to match impedance with the antenna and the radio is happy....any length of conductor will radiate RF that is routed to it...you "TUNE" the antenna to make the radio happy...and yes,you can CUT an antenna to a length and it will work fine...but SWR (within reason) is not why you cut an antenna as people using SWR meters rarely leave well enough alone and continue to trim the antenna for 'perfect' SWR while all they are actually doing in causing LOSS in the system and this loss causes SWR to look better. With a known length needed for that 'perfect' match being a finite measure....why is it that so many Hams won't leave well enough alone???

The ZEPP of most any of the random length wires exist because the average Ham simply does not have space or time to install a dozen antennas and TECHNOLOGY allows that we don't have to now ...the antenna tuner makes the radio happy and the RF goes out...that's all you need.. I still,at times,discuss the merits of a 1/4 wave dipole VS a random wire of similar size and I continue to have  discussion stall as to which antenna actually produces a better (stronger) signal...there are just too many variables involved with propagation let alone antenna design.

If you read this far without your eyes glazing over....I currently run a lazy dipole...a ZEPP that is pulled apart...it is a 4 to one balun,coax fed,with 51 feet on one leg and 84 feet on the other at 10 to 25 feet above my yard and folded to being nearly a loop...the ugly piece of scrap wire can work all bands from 160 to 6 meters and has proven itself effective...or proven propagation was good ,more times than I can count...what is the best antenna??? It is the one you are using NOW. I have talked all over the world with antennas from a disturbingly small 4 foot ,base loaded whip to a loop of wire BURIED beneath the soil on a hill and ALL OF THEM were the best at the times I used them.

We have never had it as good for radio technology than TOMORROW. USE YOUR RADIO...don't be a slave to it.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Lamewolf on July 13, 2018, 11:14:29 AM ---I wonder what the swr looks like on this antenna on the various bands without a tuner ?

--- End quote ---
  About 10 to 15 to one....but SWR is a readout for radio output like oil pressure can tell you fuel mileage on a car....they simply are not capable of any significance for the item being measured...high SWR when tuned by a tuner is no longer high SWR...just make the radio safe and happy and spend time transmitting rather that running an analyzer to a non useful conclusion.

I wonder what the SWR looks like without a radio???  It does not matter 'cause it ain't gonna' happen.

Pabrides:
I have to tell you guys that this thread kept me reading for three pages - the entire thing... 

I have one question - what is the final verdict?

You have been throwing around antenna length numbers until Im confused as *ell. Im so interested in a Zepp antenna now that I just wanna bust. 

Is the original 67 plus 17 with 4:1 balun a good thing, or has one of you come up with some better length?

thanks for the read
P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version