Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

All Band Single Wire Antenna,The Zeppelin

<< < (16/19) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Freedom Forged on March 07, 2016, 08:53:39 AM ---UPDATE:

I moved one end of my Zepp higher.  So one end is now at 18 feet and the other is about 35 feet so I guess it's a sloping Zepp.  It improved things a great deal for me.  I was able to make contact more readily and got better signal reports.  So I guess my problem was height.  Imagine that, a ham who's antenna wasn't high enough..... :facepalm:

The high end is temporarily over a tree limb in a tall pine.  I say temporary because I don't like using trees because of the common pitfalls.  Wind, abrasion etc.  So i'm not sure what the permanent fix is.  Pole?  Mast?  Suggestion?

I wanted to post a snap shot from my QRZ.com log like SH did but I'm not that talented.......
FF

--- End quote ---

Consider a weather balloon, or perhaps an autonomous drone...  :excited:

Freedom Forged:
The weather balloon might turn it into a vertical.  Hmmm, that might work too!
FF

Carl:
I wanted a smaller/shorter all band antenna and discovered someone beat me to it with a HALF SIZE W3EDP at 42 feet long it works on 6 through 80 meters and can be built with 300 ohm TV TWIN LEAD or Latter Line ...most any parallel line will work. You use a 4 to one balum to 8 1/2 feet twin lead wire and 33.5 feet of any wire suitable for an antenna.

https://thewakesileave.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/a-42-portable-multiband-hf-antenna-with-no-wire-on-the-ground-the-w3edp-jr/

Greekman:
great Carl! one more tool for the toolbox!

--- Quote ---The weather balloon might turn it into a vertical.  Hmmm, that might work too!
--- End quote ---
not necessarily...remember you can tether it at any height and adjustably too.
So you get the slope you want ANY time.

question.do ballon get tethered with one line or three?

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Carl on September 20, 2016, 05:11:11 AM ---I wanted a smaller/shorter all band antenna and discovered someone beat me to it with a HALF SIZE W3EDP at 42 feet long it works on 6 through 80 meters and can be built with 300 ohm TV TWIN LEAD or Latter Line ...most any parallel line will work. You use a 4 to one balum to 8 1/2 feet twin lead wire and 33.5 feet of any wire suitable for an antenna.

--- End quote ---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krD4hdGvGHM  I like how it can do 80m without taking up a ginormous amount of room.  Looks like a practical solution to a problem I've been wrestling with.  I mean, this could be the answer for a trail and bug-out antenna.  Let me count my pennies here... $0.40 per foot x 9' + scrap wire = damn near free, especially considering that I have all the parts on hand.  Well there goes half of my Saturday!

Thanks for posting that link Carl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version