Author Topic: Alternative heaters  (Read 3025 times)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
Alternative heaters
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:14:51 AM »
I saw this heater last night at Big R. I wanted to see if anyone on here has heard anything good or bad about them. I want something portable because then I could also use it when camping. Here is a link to it:

http://mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

They also have one size larger but I did not see it at the store. I am sure they would order it but I have no idea what it would cost at the store.

endurance

Re: Alternative heaters
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
I picked up one of the larger ones at Lowe's last year and I like it, but haven't used it very much (mostly just for heating a workshop a few days a year).  I like the adjustability that it allows, from a real low heat that will maintain the temperature of a small space to blast you out of the room hot.

I read on another forum that they're very sensitive to the quality of the propane you use and while perfectly reliable on the little coleman bottles with factory propane in them, you should always use them with a propane filter if using a large propane tank.  The guy that posted said his first two clogged up, but after getting the filter from Mr. Heater, he never had another problem.  Not sure how often you need to replace those filters, but something definitely worth noting.  I picked up a couple just to be on the safe side.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »
Endurance, Thanks for the quick reply. I intended to use the "generic" coleman 1 lb cylanders. I wonder if that is the same as the coleman or not. It would be "factory filled" and I use the generics for the camp stove we have. I do not actually have a 20 lb tank. I would probably get one for down the road, but for now I think I would use the little ones. I certainly appreciate the heads up on clogging if I use a big tank.

Would you feel safe using it indoors?

endurance

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:45:49 AM »
I think the problem with the 20 pound cylinders is they probably rust on the inside after several refills and it's the rust that is the sources of the contamination.  Unless you refill your own 1 pound canisters, I doubt you'd have any problems at all with commercially available canisters (it's technically against DOT law to refill them if you are going to transport them).

I use mine in a 10x12' tuff shed and have no problems at all.  That said, if it's a confined space with poor ventilation you always need to be concerned with CO poisoning and depleting the oxygen in the room.  Personally, I would feel perfectly comfortable using mine in the house provided I had battery operated CO detectors in the room, too.  My house is drafty enough that I know fresh air is always sneaking in.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
  My house is drafty enough that I know fresh air is always sneaking in.
That is my house too. I actually feel breezes from a couple of my windows when the wind blows.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
I had been looking at these too.  It is good to hear firsthand that they are worth it.  I will be using the 1lb canisters too.
I have a lantern, stove and a couple of single burners that use those too. It makes things a lot easier when camping.

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »
We've been using a "Little Buddy" by Mr Heater up at Deer Camp for years. I think they're a great heater...nice, even heat on the LO setting and if you put it on "HI" get ready to be really warm! The model we have has no fan, but in a smaller space, I don't think that's necessary to produce the heat you need.

The down side is that the 1-lb canisters probably produce LO heat for 4 - 5 hours max, so they won't go overnight if you'd want that. In addition to the fan, the full-size Mr Buddy holds two 1-lb canisters of propane.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
We've been using a "Little Buddy" by Mr Heater up at Deer Camp for years. I think they're a great heater...nice, even heat on the LO setting and if you put it on "HI" get ready to be really warm! The model we have has no fan, but in a smaller space, I don't think that's necessary to produce the heat you need.

The down side is that the 1-lb canisters probably produce LO heat for 4 - 5 hours max, so they won't go overnight if you'd want that. In addition to the fan, the full-size Mr Buddy holds two 1-lb canisters of propane.
awesome advice sigman. I'll have to get me a big boy.