Author Topic: Recommendations for small "night in the woods" pack?  (Read 3892 times)

Possenti2264

Recommendations for small "night in the woods" pack?
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:25:36 AM »
I watched the Pathfinder videos and he's got a neat little oil canvas haversack which he keeps his 10 piece kit in.  I'm kinda more partial to backpacks myself, they stay steady, don't jostle much, can jog or run if need be with minimal movement of the pack.

Anywho, what do you carry into the woods for a 24 hour hike/camp?  I'd like to keep this to no tents, no sleeping bags, etc.  Just water bottle, tarp, small saw, etc. like in Dave Canterbury's videos.

Thanks in advance.

Offline DrGonzo

• Survivor
    • Zombie Squad
Re: Recommendations for small "night in the woods" pack?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
I'm such a ridiculous overpacker, it's not even funny.  Dave blows my mind with his minimalist approach.  He's it seems like he's perfectly happy to spend a week in the woods with a Nalgene and a wool blanket.  I'm interested in other members' minimalist setups as well.

Possenti2264

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »
I kinda like his minimalist approach.  Some of my best nights of sleep have been on the ground.  I like laying on my back and pushing my shoulders to the ground and sleeping with better posture than the slumping mattress at home provides.

Offline acman145acp

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:51:17 PM »
Packs are a really "personal" thing IMO.
Lots of people like Camelback Packs..... I have their MULE and while it's construction is great It is the most uncomfortable pack to carry i own.(the bladder is top notch)

I personally like Badlands packs and Mountainsmith....... i've used diffrent models that people own i know and the ones i own are outstanding to carry....
These http://www.badlandspacks.com/packs.php are the most comfortable packs i've ever worn and outstanding construction in my experience....
The Legendary Badlands Unconditional Warranty

We don't care what happened, or whose fault it was, we will fix it for free forever. We could care less if you bought it at a garage sale or a gear swap, as long as it says Badlands on the pack it's covered. All we ask is that you use and abuse your pack as much as possible so we can learn how to make better products.

I have no idea if they actually stand behind that warranty because i cant hurt mine nor has anyone i know that owns one....... I've been using it religiously for 8~yrs and it still looks almost new.
Mine is a much older model similar to the 2200.....

A ~2200 ci pack will hold what i need and not the kichen sink......

With a wilderness safepacker on the belt.....

IdahoJohn

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:39:30 AM »
I just picked up this one on steepandcheap.com for $30.  If you keep an eye out it might come back up, but it sold out in 5 min the first time.
Granite Gear Sidecut 4E Backpack - 1000cu in
Sage, Regular

Review to follow.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
I used a GoLite pack in the past with good luck. It was similar to this one, but a size up.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=PA5267&mc=177&t=&lat=
Might be what you're after?

They were light, with just enough support to manage the contents.   

I ended up switching to a Gregory because I liked the suspension better, and was carrying enough gear to warrant it (I was through-hiking Pictured Rocks).

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/28/z35

Possenti2264

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Yeah.  These look good.  I may go check out Academy to see what small packs they have.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
  I would error on the side of packing for more than 24 hrs just in case. You never know when the weather will change or you get hurt and can't hike out right away. But that is the Search and Recuser in me talking. ALICE packs are cheap and can take a licking but might not be as small as you wanted though.

Possenti2264

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
I was watching Dave Canterbury (Pathfinder school guy) and he uses the whole frame system and different packs for how long he's going to be out.  Not a bad idea.  The only thing I could see being an issue is you can't throw a rifle over your shoulder with a sling.  Although a scabbard would be cool

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 12:19:43 PM »
   Whatever you do DO NOT buy one of these packs from Cabela's they are Chinese made junk. I bought one thinking how cool and regret it ever since. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0014814&navCount=1&parentId=cat20770&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20712-cat20770_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20770&rid=
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:31:46 PM by Beetle »

Possenti2264

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
Yeah.  I saw one in a catalog and thought it would be kinda weird.  I'd probably buy a leather scabbard for my lever-action and lash it to my pack.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
I think I'd find a softshell gun case and lash it. Lighter!  Possibly more lash points, or just through the handle...

RobW

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
This guy started out making hydration packs for bicycling, but viewing his site just now I see his product line has been expanded quite a bit.  I've been using my pack for biking and hiking for 6 years now, and the thing has held up terrific, still looks pretty fresh.  High quality stuff...
http://www.wingnutgear.com/products.cfm

Offline lzhome

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
I'm interested in the 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Pack. It has good reviews and I like things that will hold up and last a long time.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
Small Camelback pack.  They're a little heavy, when compared to some of the more technical packs, but not so much as to kill you.

In fact, in the picture below, the pack on the right is my standard, Spring-through-Fall Personal Emergency Resource Kit (what I call a BOB).  Next to it is my current project, the ULPERK (Ultra Light PERK).  The Full-Blown kit weighs in at 34.6 lbs, the ULPERK currently weighs 18.7 lbs (neither includes the weight of the sheathknife).  I'm even trying to pare that down a few more pounds. This is only for the BARE minimum of gear and some of it is prohibitively expensive for the average person.  There's lots of titanium in there to cut down on the weight and a lot of  bare-bones stuff.

This is what I'm moving most of my kits to, once I get the finalized version worked out and make sure that all the items perform up to snuff.

For carrying a longarm in a low-profile situation, I attach the above ULPERK to a low-profile, rectangular padded guncase surrounded with PALS webbing.  It comes with shoulderstraps, like a backpack, and I've modified a padded waistbelt for it to fit, so I can carry a no-frills kit with a full-size rifle, ammo and all the basic accoutrements in a low-profile set-up that's comparatively comfortable.

Hope it helps.

The Professor