Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Transportation

Goatdog's Project 505

<< < (4/97) > >>

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: TrashCanMan on July 29, 2009, 01:00:13 PM ---Really enjoyed reading this.  Thanks, Goatdog :)

I'm midway through a VW BOV restoration/upgrade.  I really like the false floor idea.  How is the board held in place or does it stay in place under its own weight?

edit - forgot to add a +1 :)

--- End quote ---

It holds its own but I added four small metal brackets, one at each support leg and two across the rear. Currently needs a Phillips screwdriver to take em off but looking for some type of quick release buckle setup. I do not need to take out or lift the floor to access any of my stuff under there. There is access from both sides.

Sister Wolf:
You need to know how jealous I am of your camping trip.  You can DRIVE on the BEACH out there?  What is this world coming to, when a Californian is shocked that you're allowed to drive on the beach.  *sigh*

And the storm?  On the sea?  While you're in your tent?  Good Lord man, that's almost indecent, it sounds so wonderful.

I'd dig plenty of graves to experience that.  There is nothing (NOTHING) like lightning on the Ocean.  Used to live right on the water in Long Beach (our condo had 2 boat slips, and our view was literally the ocean on all three sides that had windows). Ocean storms are bar none my favorite thing on earth to watch.  Specially when it's from my living room, with a nice fire going in the fireplace, and all the lights out.  We'd all sit there in the living room, staring out the bay windows crying "OOOOOH! Didju see THAT one?!" every time another lightning flash happened.  *sigh*  That's the only thing I'm gonna miss about California.

Hare of Caerbannog:
Dude, you never stop causing my jaw to drop open and the word, "wow" falling out.

All this and you're a poet too.

--- Quote ---I awoke to the sound of the surf. It was cloudy out but I made some coffee and debated ending my trip right then and there. As if to answer, God sent a shaft of light right onto my tent. I decided to stay. I packed me a little ditty bag for the beach and hiked down the boardwalk. The gnarly growth stunted trees, ravaged by the salt air, created a covered path along the weathered wooden planks that led to the dunes. The post-storm surf was loud and angry looking. Few people were visible as far as my old eyes could see. There were no visible structures save the famous Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, at 208 feet it was hard to miss, even though it was almost ten miles distant. I set up the chair and immediately jumped into the maelstrom, even at low tide it was powerful. The surf was strong but invigorating. The sky was in turmoil all day. The sun remained over the sea and the dark boiling clouds stayed just off the beach. Each feinting towards the other like a supernatural battle between ancient Greek gods.

--- End quote ---

GoatDog
Teacher
Warrior
Scholar
Mentor
Poet
Father
Husband
Handyman
A true Renaissance Man

Just one question. Do you sometimes wear a mask and a cape?

Pathfinder:
Great project, still downloading the pictures even though I have fast DSL.  >:(

Brilliant idea on the front tow hitch. You would be surprised at the number of people even in farm and ranch country who don't even think about doing something like that. It will be handy. Just make sure the hitches are capable of supporting the capacity of the winch. No sense getting a 2000 pound hitch setup for a winch that can handle 5000 pounds.

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on July 29, 2009, 03:57:27 PM ---You need to know how jealous I am of your camping trip.  You can DRIVE on the BEACH out there?  What is this world coming to, when a Californian is shocked that you're allowed to drive on the beach.  *sigh*

And the storm?  On the sea?  While you're in your tent?  Good Lord man, that's almost indecent, it sounds so wonderful.

I'd dig plenty of graves to experience that.  There is nothing (NOTHING) like lightning on the Ocean.  Used to live right on the water in Long Beach (our condo had 2 boat slips, and our view was literally the ocean on all three sides that had windows). Ocean storms are bar none my favorite thing on earth to watch.  Specially when it's from my living room, with a nice fire going in the fireplace, and all the lights out.  We'd all sit there in the living room, staring out the bay windows crying "OOOOOH! Didju see THAT one?!" every time another lightning flash happened.  *sigh*  That's the only thing I'm gonna miss about California.

--- End quote ---

I thought I was the only one. I love watching the weather when it gets angry. I think California beaches are really nice and different than the East Coast beaches.

The beaches in northern Panama and Costa Rica are my favorites though.

They tried to outlaw beach driving here, but it was met with a very loud roar. They do it around sea turtle egg laying season and all is well. You could drive down to the Baja Peninsula and get some beach driving in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version