Author Topic: Kimber makes a revolver?  (Read 15579 times)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Kimber makes a revolver?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 08:53:31 AM »
  OT just a little.
  What I would like is the S&W Model 13 like the FBI use to carry. I bought my wife a Model 36-1 with 3' barrel back in 1974??? after 3 shots she would put the gun down and not want to shoot it with hollow base wad cutters. I found a set of Mustang over size grips for it and manage to get Magna Port to port the 38 sp for me. ( He kept telling me it wouldn't be worth my time or money. We went back to the range and the wife was happy with it. At one point there was a loud bang. I had dropped a double charge of Bullseye. When I ask her if she was OK, she said she was fine. The last shot was just a little louder then the others.
  The model 13 is a .357 version of the 36 and has a 3' bull barrel. Now if I could just fined the right grips.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:05 AM »
well, if nutnfancy likes it then i gotta get it..... ;)

I've justified buying a crap-ton of stuff because of that guy over the years, but I just can't do it this time around.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 06:22:16 AM »
I've justified buying a crap-ton of stuff because of that guy over the years, but I just can't do it this time around.

You were just placating him. "OK I'll buy it! Just stop talking!"

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »

High pressure salesman....

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 01:28:15 PM »

Yea, verily.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
I agree a steel gun and proper grips does mitigate recoil, however, what is the increase in efficacy for high velocity .357 diameter bullets?  If the increase in performance is marginal, is it worth a +X% increase in recoil, flash, etc. even if the steel makes it "not that bad?"

Depends on the objective. If you're trying to shoot an aggressor probably not. If your goal is to blind and deafen everyone in the room...

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
Depends on the objective. If you're trying to shoot an aggressor probably not. If your goal is to blind and deafen everyone in the room...

:spit:

When they figured out how to make 147 grain 9mm JHPs open up at subsonic velocities, the cat was out of the bag.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
I don't know of a single 9mm bullet that generates the same sort of secondary wound channels as a 125 grain semi jacketed hollowpoint from a .357 mag, which is the load that got the .357 it's reputation.

Which 147 grain 9mm bullet are you referring to? It's been a while since I looked, but as far as I know, there weren't any that expanded reliably from standard service size guns. They would be even less reliable from a compact or subcompact pistol.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the only 3" M13 I ever saw. It's ok I guess, I have a 2.5" M66.  ;D

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
I don't know of a single 9mm bullet that generates the same sort of secondary wound channels as a 125 grain semi jacketed hollowpoint from a .357 mag, which is the load that got the .357 it's reputation.

Which 147 grain 9mm bullet are you referring to? It's been a while since I looked, but as far as I know, there weren't any that expanded reliably from standard service size guns. They would be even less reliable from a compact or subcompact pistol.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the only 3" M13 I ever saw. It's ok I guess, I have a 2.5" M66.  ;D
Gen 1 Gold Dots.

I personally would not do 147s, i agree that there is still more margin for error in expansion than i would like but the point is that irs a whole different ball game from the old days of effectively shooting a solid.  I am not seeing a lot of margin between 125 .357 and say 127 grain 9mm+p+ or Speer 124 grain +p.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
As is often said about modern ammunition, the only people who will know the difference are you and the coroner.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
  I think the 147 gr 9mm was a Hydro Shock. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
  Silvertips were close and also CCI Lawman...and very briefly the hollow copper TAURUS  HEX ammo.