Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday

<< < (18/19) > >>

d3nni5:

I need to read back through this thread, haven't seen it before.   

I take old vitamin bottles, any OTC bottle w/o a child proof cap, and reuse for all sorts of things.   They hold my firestarters, char cloth, tinder etc in my BOB.   They are good for nuts and bolts and any little fastener that comes in those annoying plastic bags.    Anything you want to keep dry and can fit into it, makes for a good reuse.

rikkrack:
rather than buy snare wire, I found I could get picture hanging wire to do the same think and was cheaper.

Then saw the same tip on Yukon men week later. wife rolled her eyes said yeah yeah yeah

Then caught raccoon that was after our chickens. It took all I had not to tell her "I TOLD YOU SO". but i didn't. She doesn't mock my ideas anymore...well not as much at least. 

AvenueQ:
Facial Cleanser

I found this recipe online somewhere and was very skeptical at first. However, my favorite face wash has been discontinued so I decided to give this a shot. Combine in a small squeeze bottle:

1 part extra-virgin olive oil
1 part castor oil

Shake well to combine. To use, dampen your face. Squeeze a quarter-sized amount into hand and massage it in. Take a hot washcloth and place it over your face for 30 seconds. Wipe clean with cloth.

I usually just use it in the shower. I rub it in and then let the steam from the hot water do the work, then wipe it off. I definitely thought rubbing oil on your face was nuts, but it actually works pretty well. My skin is considered "normal to dry" so YMMV with this cleanser. If only I could find a recipe for moisturizer now...

Josh the Aspie:

--- Quote ---shampoo or soap, or even something like fabric softener?
--- End quote ---

Take oak ashes, run water through.  Filter from mixing container to new container to remove ash particulates.  Caution: The resulting lye is caustic, and hot.

Add naturally hot mixture to fat, mix.  If desired, add essential oils, or finely chopped bits of flowers/herbs.

Pour into large, heat resistant container such as a baking pan.

Wait for mixture to cool and harden.

Cut into bars.

I don't recall the exact proportions off hand.

This is both my soap and shampoo.  I don't use fabric softener, or starch.

I buy it made from others to save time. I have been considering making some of my own, but the people I buy it from buy their supplies in bulk, so it would almost definitely be more expensive to buy my own, not less.

joe121:

--- Quote from: susan1957 on September 21, 2008, 06:34:34 PM ---My sister and I have been cutting corners since fuel cost have gone so high.  We no longer purchase laundry detergent, instead we use this age old recipe.
I store it in a quart jar and you use only 1 or 2 tablespoons of detergent depending on how dirty the clothes are. 

1 bar of Fels Naptha soap (grated fine)
1/4 c Arm & Hammer washing soda
1/4 c 20 Mule Team Borax 
Mix & store.  1 quart of this cost us about 2.00 instead of costing 15.00.  This does about 50 loads depending on if you use 1 or 2 tablespoons.

It cleans very well.

--- End quote ---

Wife makes the same stuff and it works very well. I think she also adds oxiclean powder but I could be wrong. Plus the extra washing soda is useful for electrolysis rust removal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version