Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday

<< < (4/19) > >>

susan1957:
Thanks for the tip on the soap.  I have millions of little pieces of soap due to 3 kids that break soap in half for some reason.  I will start melting it down and re shaping it this weekend.  I've been putting it in a jar and adding a little water to make liquid soap and putting it in dispensers for hand soap. 

If you have kids that wear black patient leather shoes...you can make them shine by rubbing them down with a biscuit. 

ejsandstrom:
Kind of related. Pepper poured in the radiator will stop leaks. I have done this with mixed results. I have also heard a raw eg dropped in the radiator will work too.

Larry:
Hello, All -
I'm slow in posting, obviously.

Having just read the post en re: wax used in canning, I HAVE TO SAY THE FLAG WENT UP ON THIS ONE.  The only time we ever used wax in such a manner was when we made jellie.  Yes it tasted good, but jellie had no where near the amount of work or potential hazards as other foods. 

Probably just a happy memory on dark eye's part, but no, not part of the canning process.

I'm not any where close to an expert on canning, but I know that wax is not viable.

Regards,
Larry

DarkEyes
Survivor

Re: Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:03 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I have thought alot about lately is canning.  If you needed to can food and didn't have or couldn't get the seals to seal the jars you could use wax.  It will seal the jar and you can save it, melt it and reuse it.

susan1957:
A great alternative to Cascade or any dishwasher detergent and works great! 
1 cup borax
1 cup Washing soda
Mix and put into a covered container. 
I use 1 tablespoon for a load of dishes. 

A friend of mine also adds 1 cup of color bleach powder to the above recipe because she thinks it helps cut down on sharing germs.  I think it's not necessary
if dishes are washed in hot water but it don't hurt.   If you decide to use the bleach you still use 1 tablespoon per load.

creuzerm:
The wax canning is for jellys and jams. They have a very high amount of sugar. Sugar at that level retards spoilage.

If you notice, your jams and jellies will mold in the fridge before they spoil any other way. The wax prevents molding.

You can't feed honey to infants because it may have botulism spores in it that never 'hatch' due to the sugar content of the honey, and an infants digestive system is the perfect anaerobic environment for botulism.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version