Author Topic: Chrysler shutting down ALL production plants for 1 month  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
Chrysler shutting down ALL production plants for 1 month
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
LINK

Wow. There are going to be some VERY angry people this holiday.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Chrysler shutting down ALL production plants for 1 month
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:56:39 PM »
Think they are closing for a month to see whether or not they should close completely or not?

I hope they had the decency to tell their staff about this before they did this. My guess is that they didn't.

John Q Public

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
Why bother telling them anything? After all:

"The more than 30,000 Chrysler workers in the United States represented by the UAW receive nearly full benefits and wages during plant shutdowns, but labor costs represent only about 10 percent of the total cost of the average vehicle."

This whole situation makes me sick to my stomach. Part of me can only conclude that this shutdown is an attempt to convince Washington to give them the bailout they are looking for. The bottom line is that throwing money into a bad situation only makes the situation larger and worse. If Chrysler would stop making SH*T automobiles and give the consumers what they wanted they wouldn't be in this mess. On top of that, the UAW needs to get their heads out of their AS*ES.

The best thing that could happen from all of this is to allow the big 3 to enter bankruptcy so they could restructure all of their UAW contracts into something that looks like reality.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 07:57:32 PM »
Oh, yeah I forgot about the Unions...  :-\

I agree I think they are attempting to make it look like they need a bail out. They should have known the minute they bailed out the banks that everyone else in the nation would line up behind them for their 'share' of the pie. The thing is that they are helping themself to pie that they didn't make themselves. Its OUR pie! Get out of our pie! lol  >:(

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
This is a stunt to scare Bush and the other politicians to give Chrysler (our) money. 

You guys are right: the union people get paid anyway.  But now the headlines will be "Chrysler to Shut Plants" and everyone will cry, cry, cry and beg the government to give away (our) money.  What a scam.

P.S.  I seem to remember in Robocop that the crappy car was a "Chrysler 6000 SUX."  For real: http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=6171567