Author Topic: Informational Post - Shelf Stable Milk  (Read 4868 times)

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Informational Post - Shelf Stable Milk
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:00:05 PM »
The Angel Food Ministries thread piqued my interest regarding a formerly unknown product to me:  Shelf Stable Milk.

Here are a few resources for everyone's knowledge regarding Shelf Stable Milk, its preparation, storage and places to purchase.

From Borden's Website:

What Is Shelf Stable Milk? [Click for Borden's website]

Borden Shelf Stable milk is premium grade 'A' fluid milk. It requires no refrigeration until the package is opened.

Ordinary milk is heated to 161 degrees during pasteurization and packaged in a carton or plastic container. After cooling, bacteria begins to take a toll on the milk and refrigeration is immediately required to slow spoilage.

Shelf Stable Milk (also known as U.H.T. milk) uses a different process. The milk is heated to 282 degrees (thus the term Ultra High Temperature or U.H.T.) during pasteurization eliminating all bacteria in the process. Using Aseptic Technology* the milk is packaged in a special container that seals out light and air.

The taste is the same.
The texture is the same.
The color is the same.
The nutritional values are the same.

Only the process is different.

Because of the U.H.T. process and aseptic packaging, shelf stable milk remains fresh for months, not days. Once the container is opened it reacts like regular milk and must be refrigerated.

*Aseptic Technology is the process by which microorganisms are prevented from entering into the package during and after packaging. This is accomplished by filling a sterilized package with a sterile food product within the confines of a hygienic environment.

Storage?

Borden Shelf Stable milk can withstand temperature variations wonderfully.

Putting the product on the shelf then in the refrigerator back and forth causes no harm to the product as long as it remains unopened.

The best temperature to store the milk is from 33° F to 80° F.

It can withstand higher temperatures but this will cause the milk to age quicker (have off flavor and a slight brown tinge).

The temperature the milk can be stored at is related to time. Storing the milk at 81° F to 108° F over the shelf life will simply cause the milk to age sooner but will not cause bodily harm. Storing the milk at 109° F for more than 10 days may cause the milk to sour or carton to swell but again no bodily harm. Storing the milk at 131° F for 5 days or more may cause the milk to sour or the carton to swell but again no bodily harm.

The milk should not be frozen as this will cause the appearance of the milk to be off.

We recommend serving the milk chilled.

After opening refrigerate the product and use within 14 days.

USDA Fact Sheet - MILK, 2% Reduced Fat, Shelf Stable

Where to Buy:

Not too surprisingly, Amazon carries several variations of shelf stable milk.  The nice thing about Amazon is that, if purchased directly from them, shipping for purchases greater than $25 is free.  The bad thing about shelf stable milk is that it is not cheap! 

Amazon's Offerings:

Organic Valley Organic Whole Milk, 33.8-Ounce Aseptic Cartons (Pack of 6)

Hershey's Shelf Stable 2% Chocolate Milk, 8-Ounce Aeseptic Boxes (Pack of 21)

From Borden's website, the recommended online retailer is:  Hometown Favorites

There is even a soy alternative!  Silk is available in a Shelf Stable form as well:  Babies Travel Lite
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 10:17:41 PM by firetoad »

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
Re: Informational Post - Shelf Stable Milk
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:45 AM »
+1 I have been looking locally for an item similar to this, thanks.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
Firetoad,

I was introduced to SSmilk back in Bosnia in 95.  At first I was very hesitant, but warmed to it eventually.  It tolerated hot, cold and all other temps and storage conditions.  We use it here for cooking recipes as we don't drink milk much anymore.  Good stuff. 

Berserker Prime

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
I have used the Parmalat brand UHT milk, and was surprised that it tastes like regular milk. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the baking aisle.

Didn't know the hows and whys of UHT though. Great post firetoad!