Author Topic: Question About Storage Buckets  (Read 12412 times)

Offline ssdtopgun

• Fledgling Prepper
Question About Storage Buckets
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:51 AM »
If the food is being stored in Mylar bags are the orange 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot ok to use?

Thanks!

6-17-09 Merged due to duplicate subject***Winchester32***
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:55:41 AM by Winchester32 »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Home Depot orange buckets ???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »
If the food is being stored in Mylar bags are the orange 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot ok to use?

Thanks!

Have a Look Here

And Here

Hopefully these two semi-related topics will shed some light on your question.

Offline one_third

• Prepper
  • on the move...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
Here is a post that goes into quite a bit of detail concerning the different types of food grade plastics.

http://hitrizeit.blogspot.com/2007/10/food-grade-plastic.html

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
Yup if its being stored in Mylar its just fine. The bucket is just there to protect the mylar from being torn in storage or little creatures nibbling on your preps. Home Depot orange buckets are HDPE 2 plastic which is what is used for food grade buckets. However technically they are not food grade because they have that orange dye as stated here http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html but again if the food is in mylar it doesnt matter.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:26:25 PM by Spamity Calamity »

John Q Public

Question About Storage Buckets
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
I cannot remember for the life of me.....Storage buckets that are rated for food are the HPCE Type #2 plastic, correct?

If so, then the best deal going on them would be at Home Depot for their orange "Homer" buckets.  I believe that they are around $3.99 per unit and there would be no shipping costs. Plus, I have some Home Depot gift cards left over from Christmas.....Which would make them free to me.  :D

If not, would they still be safe to use with Mylar liners and a gamma seal lid?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Question About Storage Buckets
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »
I cannot remember for the life of me.....Storage buckets that are rated for food are the HPCE Type #2 plastic, correct?

If so, then the best deal going on them would be at Home Depot for their orange "Homer" buckets.  I believe that they are around $3.99 per unit and there would be no shipping costs. Plus, I have some Home Depot gift cards left over from Christmas.....Which would make them free to me.  :D

If not, would they still be safe to use with Mylar liners and a gamma seal lid?
They are food safe, someone brought up the question of the orange dye used in them but using mylar bags pretty much negates any concerns.  You should be good to go & I did a short review HERE of the Gamma Seals used with Home Depot buckets.

John Q Public

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
Excellent! Thanks DEV!

John Q Public

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »
I checked out the buckets at HD tonight. The Orange buckets are $2.97 and the lids (with a gasket) are $.98. They aren't gamma lids but look pretty solid.

So for under $4 you have a food grade bucket with a gasketed lid. That is less than half their normal price at HD. I would recommend that everyone stock up.

They can be used for food/H2O storage or would be great for a potted garden.

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:33 AM »
In general HDPE 2 is considered food grade. Now some folks are under the assumption that the food they buy in the grocery store is magically produced in this super sterile labratory, it isn't.

Some would argue that these types of buckets are not "food grade", I would have you look at the buckets you've purchased from professional packers and see what they are marked. You could also look at the Firehouse subs buckets, or the buckets from your local bakery (both that had the food coming in direct contact with the plastic, i.e, no mylar) and see what those are marked. Further you could contact Ropak and tell them what you are doing and ask them what they recommend. Here's a hint, all answers include buckets with HDPE #2 symbol on them.  ;)

If you pack WITHOUT mylar, you are not going to grow a third arm because the buckets were green. We have been storing food since 1986 and have used and reused many of colored buckets, and we actually USE our food storage regularly.

A lot of folks are really over concerned about what they pack in. Don't bother trying to reinvent the wheel, all the work in figuring this stuff out has already been figured out for you.

www.bucketpacking.com
www.howtopackfood.com

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
HDPE buckets MAY be food grade, but not all are.  With most plastics, there are other things than the "plastic" that goes into production such as mold release, colorants, fire retardant, plasticizer, etc.

The only way to be sure is to buy buckets from a reputable place that actually knows what they are selling.

An alternate would be to use a mylar barrier.

I have been to China and you don't want some of the stuff they use in the plastics factory coming in contact with food, trust me on this one.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:44 PM »
I put some of my food, which is in the original packaging, into Home Depot 5 gallon buckets: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1968.0

I never even thought about whether they were "food safe."  Then again, my stuff was in their original packages so no food touches the bucket.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
I put some of my food, which is in the original packaging, into Home Depot 5 gallon buckets: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1968.0

I never even thought about whether they were "food safe."  Then again, my stuff was in their original packages so no food touches the bucket.

I wouldn't sweat it unless the food was not packaged in something else.  They use some pretty nasty stuff in the non-food rated storage containers that is flat toxic.  If it isn't destined for food, they use whatever is cheaper or more effective in production.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »
Anyone use them as outdoor stashes?

Ive been considering painting a couple with a wicked mesquite desert camo and putting some out and checking on them periodical. to try and found out how long they are viable in that situation. Throw in a tarp, a poncho liner, knife, some paracord and maybe acouple of pairs of sox and see what happens.

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
Anyone use them as outdoor stashes?

Ive been considering painting a couple with a wicked mesquite desert camo and putting some out and checking on them periodical. to try and found out how long they are viable in that situation. Throw in a tarp, a poncho liner, knife, some paracord and maybe acouple of pairs of sox and see what happens.

Some time back I "found" some buckets that a well meaning family member had stacked WAY too high (9 buckets high). The bottom bucket of the stack had basically disintegrated, the next 2 buckets in the stack had the lids busted in (and these were good lids, not the garbage lids that Lowes and Walmart sells). Anywhoo, I took the buckets with the broken lids out and decided to put them into the chicken feed rotation. So I carried some of them over and stacked them near the chicken shed.

Now the buckets were already 8-9 years old by the time they went out near the chicken shed. Some time last year, I had a need for buckets and here is one lone remaining bucket with a cracked lid over by the chicken shed. I pulled the lid off, the rice inside was mylared. As I dumped the still sealed mylar bag out on to the ground, a quart or so of green slime water came out of the bucket with it. This bucket had been outside at least a year or two, freezing in the winter, 110 in the summer.

As I dumped out the mylar bag, I said "I just wonder...." I pulled my knife and cut the mylar open. The rice inside was perfectly dry and still good! No BS. My family ate that rice. It showed no oxidation or signs of degradation.

So long story short, pack correctly like in that video I linked above, and you can do what you want to do. I wouldn't store outside IF YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS, but if you don't and the choice is store outside or not have food... I'd be storing outside!

Lowdown3