Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Preparedness as a Retirement Plan

<< < (5/47) > >>

dudekrtr:
+1 CdnGuy. Amazing. This is exactly what I have been thinking about for the last few months, with TSP shows leading the way. I just hadn't strung enough thoughts together to realize what was driving me. I was actually pretty sure it wasn't just fear.

Fear is a negative motivator, although it often does the job. There was something good, something right, something almost intangible about all this. It just resonated with me; and I think a lot of other listeners as well.

Thank you for putting the skin on the bones of my thoughts.  :)

CdnGuy:
Put the skin on the bones....I like that!

TSP was a bit of a catalyst as well. I've been haphazardly going about the self-sufficiency lifestyle for a couple years. Then, just like Jack was saying, I got to thinking, "If I don't need to buy most of my stuff, and the stuff that I have is built to last, like cast iron stuff and a straight razor for example, would I really need to work that much?" Then I went from there.

Somebody said something about creating another stream of income, like through Internet marketing or something. I think that's a great idea. Any sort of business built on a passion of yours will do the job. How many times do you stop in a small town at a store and wonder how the heck the guy supports himself? Chances are he's retired from something else and the store is his hobby. Just a thought.

dudekrtr:
I figure if I can find something that is fun to do, it won't be so much like work, and I can pull down a few bucks as well. But, if I can "prep" myself into a position of only needing to work one day a week, even doing what I do right now, with that much pressure removed, it might just transform that job into something a whole lot more enjoyable than it currently is.

I think a good goal would be to try to use the job only for the extras, not the necessities.

CdnGuy:

--- Quote from: Hare of Caerbannog on September 18, 2009, 10:32:56 AM ---CdnGuy
Just listened to your first two podcasts! I'll pick up your third one in just a bit.
Great stuff.
You have a warm friendly voice and your slight accent make it fun to listen to.
Anyone who's spent any time around Canadians or folks from the upper midwest of the US will enjoy each time that little Canadian twang kicks in.
Your intro podcast was wonderful.
Your second podcast was very enjoyable and I really liked the detail you go into.
With the winters we have here in Ohio, I have some things a lot more in common with you than I do with Jack, considering what they call "winter" in Texas.  ;)
Keep up the good work.
I look forward to episode 3.

--- End quote ---

What accent? I was just oot and aboot when I was taping that, eh?  ;D

The audio quality on the third episode sucks. Cross talk between my headphone wire and my cellphone charger wire. Episode 4 is way better, sound quality wise.
I totally would love snowy winter tips and such from our Northern U.S. friends.

Even though I truly love Canada, especially Alberta and the prairies, if the US was more stable, I'd really consider a move to somewhere like North Carolina. Somewhere with what I'd call a 3 season year.

I've always found the average American to be friendly and supportive, I don't know what the French are talking about. I also LOVE the original mindset of the United States of America. On a tangent, you folks need to go back to calling it the United States of America and not just the US or America. That should help reintroduce the concept that each state is a republic and responsible for itself.

dudekrtr:
OK, I give up-podcasts? What have I missed?  Can you give me a link?  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version