Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Do It Yourself - Projects, Ideas and How To

Collapse OS: a post-apocalyptic operating system for scavenged computer parts

<< < (3/3)

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: archer on October 17, 2019, 04:48:40 PM ---of course, if shtf and society collapses, what need will there be for a computer? hows it it going to get power? will there be anything left to connect to?

--- End quote ---
Yes, to a point.  Computers are not needed for day to day operations.  However, once things settle down, it's time to try to get back to normal.  As you know, computers help to make things more efficient.  It could mean that I'm able to plot out the most efficient way to plot the crops I plant.  Nobody knows what computers would be able to do for us in a SHTF situation.

Mr. Bill:
The inventor of Collapse OS is looking specifically at reprogramming microcontrollers, so his Z80-based system is designed to program multiple other CPUs besides the Z80.  Microcontrollers run many types of equipment, so his goal is to get equipment into a functional state, and possibly repurposed for new uses via reprogramming.

It's an interesting thought.  Most of us think of personal computers and smartphones when we talk about programming, but we probably interact with more microcontrollers daily than we do with PCs and phones.  In that sense, microcontroller-computers are needed for day to day operations.

It really depends on exactly how much collapse we get.  If we're still have basic civilization running but we've lost the ability to manufacture CPUs, this sort of effort might keep us in operation while we reboot the tech industry.

archer:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on October 18, 2019, 06:48:07 PM ---The inventor of Collapse OS is looking specifically at reprogramming microcontrollers, so his Z80-based system is designed to program multiple other CPUs besides the Z80.  Microcontrollers run many types of equipment, so his goal is to get equipment into a functional state, and possibly repurposed for new uses via reprogramming.

It's an interesting thought.  Most of us think of personal computers and smartphones when we talk about programming, but we probably interact with more microcontrollers daily than we do with PCs and phones.  In that sense, microcontroller-computers are needed for day to day operations.

It really depends on exactly how much collapse we get.  If we're still have basic civilization running but we've lost the ability to manufacture CPUs, this sort of effort might keep us in operation while we reboot the tech industry.

--- End quote ---

ok. i can see the use there... hmmm

gopack84:

--- Quote from: fritz_monroe on October 14, 2019, 08:37:59 PM ---I wish I still had my old Timex Sinclair computer.

I still have a TI 99-4A, though.

--- End quote ---

Wow, I have a TI 99-4A here as well. With the handy-dandy cassette tape storage medium (no floppy and surely no fancy hard drive!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version