Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Denver Terry:
Well shoot! I'm bummed you had to provide the SSN.  :(

archer:
damn, sorry about that. that stinks

cmxterra:
Wow.. I am not sure I would have done it.

Adam Campbell:
Isn't it ILLEGAL for them to REQUIRE your social security number?

Obviously they are using it to do a credit check on you before giving you an account — and I suppose they can deny you the account if you refuse to comply, but I thought even though everyone and their brother WANTS your social security number, that it was still ILLEGAL to REQUIRE it or DEMAND it unless you are opening up a bank account, or starting a new job, (or something to that effect).

ag2:

--- Quote from: Adam B. on June 03, 2013, 02:26:04 PM ---Isn't it ILLEGAL for them to REQUIRE your social security number?

Obviously they are using it to do a credit check on you before giving you an account — and I suppose they can deny you the account if you refuse to comply, but I thought even though everyone and their brother WANTS your social security number, that it was still ILLEGAL to REQUIRE it or DEMAND it unless you are opening up a bank account, or starting a new job, (or something to that effect).

--- End quote ---

I have heard that.  I'd like to see a statute to that effect.  It seems to me an urban legend that it is illegal to require a SS#.  If anyone can find this, I'd LOVE to see it.

I work for an employer from my home office.  My vacation was over.  I needed ISP access ASAP.  I even worked from a relative's house for awhile, in fact, I'm still here today.  Service was supposed to be delivered last week, then rescheduled for yesterday.  Nobody showed up.  5 calls later they said it would be turned up by 5pm yesterday, then 7pm, then 9pm, then midnight.  I woke up this morning, rebooted the modem, still no service.  (that's the short version).  My cell phone service is on the edge of the coverage and will not stay on H or 3G, so I can't tether at home, even with a booster antennae on the roof.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version