Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)

<< < (4/4)

Cedar:

--- Quote from: ag2 on May 22, 2013, 09:52:27 PM ---They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system. 

--- End quote ---

Tell them it is illegal to ask for your SS# and you will report them. I know when I worked at a dental office we were asked by our boss to get it, but I knew it was illegal.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/78/~/legal-requirements-to-provide-your-social-security-number

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your Social Security number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your Social Security number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse.

Good luck and maybe with threatening that it is illegal, you can bypass that part of their requirements.

Cedar

Edit: When I replied it looked like I was the 2nd person to reply.. I didn't see all the other posts.

artephius:
This is very strange, I used to be involved with a network marketing company that sold century link services, and while they did /ask/ for your SSN, giving a drivers license number instead was always an option. I guess it's too late now but that should not have happened.

I'd check/demand to know what is done with your SSN after this supposed credit check... do they explicitly say it is never used for any other purpose and deleted immediately? Having mine "on file" with anyone would really bother me, especially with all the data breaches that keep happening these days.

r_w:
Just changed wireless providers and dealt with three of them in the past week.  They all need social to do credit checks.  It is too easy to change a driver's license number and bury bad check history.  But they would let you do prepaid. 

Does the patriot act require social security number tracking? I remember some tinfoil discussions about that...

You should have told them you were an illegal alien!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version