Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

How do I get an ISP and still protect my identity (SS#)

(1/4) > >>

ag2:
Moving to a rural place in MO.  CenturyLink is my only ISP (DSL) option in my area.  They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system.  I've politely refused and asked to talk to a supervisor.  I've done this with two different people on two different days.  I've offered the following options to them:

1) Prepay a year in advance
2) I've offered my DL as an alternative to my SS#
3) I've asked if I can open it under my business name and provide my EIN.  The answer is "yes, but under business rates at $129.00 per month.

I work from home and must have high-speed access.
I have thought about accidentally transposing some numbers, but if they run a check, I'm sure that it won't go through.

archer:

--- Quote from: ag2 on May 22, 2013, 09:52:27 PM ---Moving to a rural place in MO.  CenturyLink is my only ISP (DSL) option in my area.  They require my SS#.  They say that they run a credit check, I don't care if they do.  I just do not want my SS# in their system.  I've politely refused and asked to talk to a supervisor.  I've done this with two different people on two different days.  I've offered the following options to them:

1) Prepay a year in advance
2) I've offered my DL as an alternative to my SS#
3) I've asked if I can open it under my business name and provide my EIN.  The answer is "yes, but under business rates at $129.00 per month.

I work from home and must have high-speed access.
I have thought about accidentally transposing some numbers, but if they run a check, I'm sure that it won't go through.

--- End quote ---

damn, i've never had anyone ask that. can you get your work to pay for it directly? if not, start asking up the level to the exec level if you can and see if they can get that waived. let us know what happens.

never_retreat:
I would just make up a number to start with. See if they go away,

Denver Terry:
Check out Clear.  http://www.clear.com/coverage 
I've had them about two years now and have no complaints. Depending on your area they may not be an option but worth a shot an no credit check, SSN, etc.
You purchase a modem and then pay monthly for service. I bought my modem for $49 and pay $35 a month.
When I was traveling for work I would take it with me and have my own secure network where ever I went

ag2:
Update:

1) I made up a number.  No go.  They knew it.
2) Could not find any other providers with coverage in my area.
3) Clear.com does not cover my area.  In addition, due to the nature of my work, I can't have the latency that is found on OTA networks anyway, but I looked into them as a backup option.

It made me sick to my stomach, but I provided my SS# to this telco.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version