Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Home And Business Security

Don't forget the floor

(1/2) > >>

TexasGal:
I've seen the discussions on hardening the door frame with screws, but I haven’t seen anyone talk about the floor…unless I’ve just missed it.

We went up this weekend to work on our cabin and I had to wonder if someone didn’t try to get it from under the house. We sit on a slope, so the crawl space at the back up the cabin is a little higher than at the front. The plywood floor has some surface cracks here and there and we’ve seen a few nail pops. But one particular crack looked fresh to me (no dirt in it) and there was two nails popped up a little around that piece of wood. Maybe it was nothing, but we went around the cabin and dropped 3” screws into the floor to make it a little more difficult to push up, just in case.

OutWestTX:
If only people worked as hard at a job as they did breaking into someone else's place. 

jhull87:
Not sure of a solution but you got me thinking. If someone were to get under the crawl space with a saws-all they could come up through the floor. This wouldn't be a problem if you lived in the house but a bug out location? Maybe something to think about.

never_retreat:
I've really never heard of a common thief going though that much work to get into a house.
Considering if the have the upper hand of a out of site house they would just work over a door till they got in.
Could you have gotten a bear under there banging around?

LibertyBelle:

--- Quote from: never_retreat on November 16, 2014, 02:55:52 PM ---I've really never heard of a common thief going though that much work to get into a house.
Considering if the have the upper hand of a out of site house they would just work over a door till they got in.
Could you have gotten a bear under there banging around?

--- End quote ---

Unless a thief is not in a hurry, yet suspects that someone may be looking in on the place. For some people "looking in on the place" usually means pulling into the driveway, taking a quick look around (often times just from the front seat), then leaving a few seconds later if nothing unusual stands out.  By using the floor as point of entry, the thief could come and go at leisure without drawing any outside attention.

Although a rambling bear could certainly pop floor boards up.  I've seen where they've torn doors and window screens completely off of hunting cabins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version