Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Land Prices ..

(1/3) > >>

surfivor:
 A couple of years ago I was looking into land near Skowheagan Maine. My sister had bought land in Idaho near Jackson Hole and the land prices went way up so that she seemed to make alot of money from that. I thought I should look into investing in land, but my mother told me that land in central or northern Maine if it's not near the coast is not going to appreciate very much, so I forgot about the whole thing.

I am considering looking into this again since land might be a good way to preserve wealth and have a place to go in a bad time situation, not really as a way to make money over time through the investment.

I don't like the idea of having land I have to keep going to look after just because I own it. I like staying at campgrounds near the coast. The most I might do is erect some kind of primitive cabin or shed on the property for starters where I could store a few things I'm not worried about and go there to camp once in a blue moon.

The other idea that I always had for my retirement some day, is that I could own a small parcel of land in Maine, and then a similar parcel some place like Georgia where I could spend a few months in the winter, I'd have a tent camper or something to stay in on the land which would be out in the sticks someplace where you could camp on your land no problem. Each property would have some kind of shed for storage or extra living space. I wouldn't necessarily live in these places, but the idea is that I could if I had to, and if Maine was woo cold in the winter I could go to the place in Georgia.

I'm not sure I would want to spend a whole lot of money on land when I am not totally sure I'd want to live there and it's not going to go up in price, maybe 10k or 15k. I saw about 9 acres for 10k on realtor.com about 1/2 mile from the interstate and about 5 hour drive up. Then I saw some other places that looked like 1.5k to 2k per acre in a really back woods section of Maine where I did a canoe trip last summer and it seemed like a nice area, but it's 6 hour drive. I'd be hard pressed to live up in a place like that maybe in the winter, but it's where land is the cheapest ..

Does anyone else think land appreciation issues is a big deal or not ? I'm starting to think, maybe not ..

Stein:
Well, my take is that it depends on why you are buying the land.  I try not to confuse investments and leisure or future family plans.

We live in a house that fits our family but likely won't go up in value as fast as a place closer to the metro area.  That is fine with me because we bought the house to live in, not to make money from.

Resort areas go up much faster, but they go down much faster too.  If the economy continues south, what will be the first things people dump?  Motorhomes, boats, second homes, vacant land, etc.

I wouldn't mind buying some land if the price was right with the expectation of building on it at some point, but if I was just looking at camping I would likely keep the money in the bank and camp somewhere different all the time.

If things get truly ugly, camping places will be easy to come by.  Just fly over the US in an airplane and you will see we have plenty of open space.

surfivor:
>> If things get truly ugly, camping places will be easy to come by.  Just fly over the US in an airplane and you will see we have plenty of open space.

Id like to believe that, but I'm not totally sure that the govt would just let people camp out even if it seemed to make sense. They might prefer to keep them in a FEMA camp, or getting kicked off private or public land seems like a possible scenario, especially if you are trying to live there sort of permanently. There are some strange stories I heard relating to Katrina that are along those lines. People where not even allowed to return to their slightly damaged houses that where no longer flooded. Some one also claims some people where in a FEMA camp and no one was allowed to bing in food as it could start a riot, so they had to just eat the FEMA rations. Volunteers where not allowed to take people to church either. That's just what I saw on the internet, I'm not totally sure how true it is, but the camp I think was called falls creek, and if you google here there seem to be a bunch of stuff on this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fema+camp+falls+creek&btnG=Search

here is one of the articles I skimmed through, but the above google search seems to turn up a bunch of stuff as well:
http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/09/08/inside-a-fema-concentration-camp/

I figured at first I could head south in the Appalachians where it's warmer and do some hunting and camp in the woods, but then I figured I might have to at least move camp a few times as some back country folk might think I was on their hunting grounds.  Anyone else have an opinion on this ?

Also, if you don't own the land, I'm not sure how farming would fit in or being able to claim those vegetables belong to you etc.

Stein:
I was talking about Jericho type situations where land ownership is not an issue.  In our part of the country, you could easily just disappear into the woods for as long as you want.  Most of the land is state or federal and large enough to hide both Bigfoot and DB Cooper.

Land is useful for growing stuff provided you have the resources ahead of time and are set up.  I often read about people who buy 5 gallon buckets of heirloom seeds cryo packed and assume they will just spread them out somewhere and have an instant farm.

A garden to sustain your family takes quite a bit of work, materials and knowledge to get up and running.  If you are going that way, best bet is to start it now.

surfivor:
 I can only plan one step at a time, as it is I'm not sure when I might be able to get up to northern Maine to look at land, maybe if I do a vacation in the spring. If I have to drive 5 or 6 hours one way, its not the kind of thing I'd do on a weekend typically, not even a 3 day weekend. I don't like to drive that much for just a couple of days, it kind of stresses me out.

It's all just an idea, I have no definite plans, but owning some cheap land in northern Maine that I could camp on if I wanted to or possibly build a rustic structure has some appeal.

If the economy get tough, I'll be spending more of my vacation time in New England instead of other places. As it is I used to go to Mexico, CA, Costa Rica, after 9/11 I cut back to mainly places I could drive to for surf/camp trips like Nova Scotia or North Carolina (13 hour trip one way). If things get worse I'd probably stay even closer to home. 

As far as what you're saying, if you're going to go someplace where there are no roads, or limited, then either you have to pack everything in on your back, or have a 4 wheel drive ATV or something. If you have a vehicle, youll still need to get gas. Packing everything in seems to mean a minimalist life of hardship. Where do you live ?

I kind of like the idea of canoe travel, in parts of Canada there are so many interconnected lakes and rivers that you can easily paddle and portage between them. A canoe allows you to carry more gear than a pack potentially, but that's just a fantasy of mine at this point living that way ... then there's lama, mules and so on, but that is a big different kind of life than where I am at at the moment

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version