Community & Regional Connections > Region Three

Just moved to SWFL from PA

(1/2) > >>

chesco_rich61:
Just moved to Collier county from Philadelphia any tips for everyday preps and hurricane prepping. Not liking the lack of basements but the fishing is good. How do you handle prepping in the heat and humidity?

Alan Georges:
Congrats on the move.  Soooo much to go into here with hurricanes.  Will post as things come to mind, later (it's getting late here).  But first a few questions: What's your elevation?  How far are you from salt water?

--- Quote ---How do you handle prepping in the heat and humidity?
--- End quote ---
Acclimation and hydration.  You just get out and work out in the heat a little bit at a time as the summer warms up, a little more every day, and by the time you need the ability to work outside all day in the heat you're already there.  Oh, it is painful and sweaty, but it pays off when the power's out for two weeks.  And hydration, just stay full on water and electrolyte replacement drink.  Consider a camelbak, or at least a few bike bottles for when you're working outside.

chesco_rich61:
Not sure about elevation I live near Collier blvd and 41.  Thanks for the advice about the heat.  Trying to keep hydrated is a good idea i’ve Found it hard especially at work and find myself forcing water down lol

Alan Georges:
OK, two things people frequently don't think of when moving to hurricane country: windstorm insurance and flood insurance.  Neither of these items are covered by standard homeowner's policies for a hurricane.  They typically take 30 days to kick in, to keep people from waiting to the last minute when a storm is raging before finally purchasing.  If you haven't yet, there's still plenty of time to get these lined up before the thick part of hurricane season, but I wouldn't dawdle.

--- Quote from: chesco_rich61 on May 22, 2018, 06:35:26 PM ---Trying to keep hydrated is a good idea i’ve Found it hard especially at work and find myself forcing water down lol

--- End quote ---
Try hydration backpack – "camelbak" is the original brand but there are a lot of others out there now.  They encourage continuous sipping, because you don't have to put down what you're doing to pick up a bottle.

LvsChant:
Finding your elevation of your house is pretty important... I have a friend who had a custom home built in FL with a certified elevation of 11 ft. Well... apparently the surveyer made an error... her house (which has already flooded twice in the past 2 years -- both times during a hurricane) is about 7 ft elevation. If it had actually been built at the elevation of 11 ft, she would have been unscathed both times. She's now trying to figure out what to do about it...

Making mental plans of what you'll do when you have to evacuate for a hurricane is a good (and relatively easy) thing to do. Looking at plans for the various levels of severe weather and how you'll react will help you get things together quickly and with as little as possible trouble when it comes. And... regardless of whether you are on the east or west side, if you are fairly near the coast, you'll be evacuating at some point, I'd guess.

I and my family lived in the New Orleans area when Katrina hit... I had already evacuated (with the boys and dog) at least once and maybe twice (like childbirth, the memory fades) during the same season by myself (hubs was in 'stan at the time). My preparations were: Move all the artwork to the second floor so minimize the possibility of damage by flooding... we placed them in the bathtub and covered with a shower curtain (against possible roof leaks) -- no idea if that would have helped, but it made me feel better. Our house didn't lose its roof and didn't flood, so my preparations were never put to the test.

I had a couple of large rubbermaid containers that carried important papers and things from the safe -- quickly loaded and kept in order. You can also put family photos in there, as well as irreplaceable keepsakes. We packed a suitcase for each person with good supply of clothes for the season. Also, I homeschooled the kids, so the school books came along, too.

I tried to get the refrigerator and freezer pretty well cleaned out in advance (you wouldn't believe the number of refrigerators and freezers that were completely destroyed by the putrid spoiled food... in every neighborhood you would see refrigerators and freezers out on the curb, waiting for disposal. This would mainly be the case in a situation where the power was out for an extremely long time, but you could save yourself some trouble if you try to minimize this possibility. After all, a power outage of some duration is almost guaranteed if you are in the path of a hurricane.

Anything moveable (lawn furniture, tools, children's toys, etc.) stored in the garage or somewhere out of the wind.

Plan ahead for when you'll leave... middle of the night is optimum, in my opinion... much less traffic. Make reservations at your preferred place to evacuate very early. If you don't end up needing the room, you can always cancel. Getting a reservation later is nearly impossible sometimes. And if you wait, you'll have to travel farther away to find something. If you have pets, be sure the hotel will accept them. Make sure the pets have had all their shots and bring the records with you.

If the path isn't directly where you live, you may want to ride out the storm at home. There are a completely different set of things to do if you plan to stay...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version