Community & Regional Connections > Region Three

Eastern Tn or Western Nc?

<< < (2/3) > >>

TNVolunteer:
I am originally from East TN, and have spent a bunch of time on both sides of the state line.  Either area is nice.  As stated above, Asheville is pricier.  Only note I could think of is check individual communities as some seem to have individual flavors that you may or may not like.

TNV

The Spartan Dad:

--- Quote from: TNVolunteer on January 18, 2016, 11:01:11 AM ---I am originally from East TN, and have spent a bunch of time on both sides of the state line.  Either area is nice.  As stated above, Asheville is pricier.  Only note I could think of is check individual communities as some seem to have individual flavors that you may or may not like.

TNV

--- End quote ---

This is a good idea. When my family moved, I pulled the tax rates of every county we were looking at. Then I pulled several months worth of County Board Meeting agendas and minutes (all available online) for each county. Reading through the agendas provided a good 'feel' of the areas and where they are heading. Finally, when I had narrowed it down, I pulled those select counties' municodes online and read through all the local laws that would affect me (zoning, livestock, etc).

You'll find some strong advantages for certain areas that may make them more appealing and more importantly, you'll hopefully avoid any unpleasant surprises.

TNVolunteer:

--- Quote ---This is a good idea. When my family moved, I pulled the tax rates of every county we were looking at. Then I pulled several months worth of County Board Meeting agendas and minutes (all available online) for each county. Reading through the agendas provided a good 'feel' of the areas and where they are heading. Finally, when I had narrowed it down, I pulled those select counties' municodes online and read through all the local laws that would affect me (zoning, livestock, etc).

You'll find some strong advantages for certain areas that may make them more appealing and more importantly, you'll hopefully avoid any unpleasant surprises.
--- End quote ---

I learned a new term..municodes....had to look that one up.  Local ordinances.

As to the question at hand, the area of the country in question has a number of small lib arts colleges in small towns.  Other towns would be the exact polar opposite that stereotype and be located just few miles down the road or on the other side of the mountain.  As you can imagine, one may find themselves to be something of a fish out of water regarding local culture if you aren't mindful.

TNV

huntsman78:
Thanks for the input, sounds like either place would be fine. I like the ideas on looking up municipality and the minutes.

ridge rover:
Climate changes from upper far east TN to lower far east Tn. The bigger mountains are in upper east Tn so more snow. There are some good fishing lakes in upper far east Tn.

There is a prison full of gang bangers there also (Mountain City). That should not be a problem, they are locked up.

I've worked with those prison officers for many, many years. They are some of the finest people in Tn!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version