Energy Options > Wind Power

Pneumatic wind mill

<< < (2/2)

Perfesser:

Probably the best use of wind power but a few things come to mind right away.

This thing could run for days on end, I think you'll need lubrication. You might get away with water lube on your PVC. Or a small compressor head(not an oil-less). Probably need some kind of low power centrifugal clutch like for a go-cart to get things spinning before engaging the compressor.
Use an inline pressure relief valve after the first tank to pipe excess air into the second (or more) after the first is at full pressure.

TheRetiredRancher:
There is a commercial windmill that has a compressor directly powered by the fan.  The high pressure air then powers a jet pump to lift the water out of the well.  Google windmill and jet pump together and you can probably find it pretty quickly.  It was slightly cheaper than a conventional windmill but if I remember right it was about $15,000.  It would not lift water from deep enough for me so I went solar.  I think jet pumps are good to about 200 feet, but look it up don't trust my poor memory.

Bushman:
Cool stuff and great info. I was thinking of use ing solinoids with a priority order to fill each tank in line one at a time. From there I was looking at automating a system that would drive a air motor that would drive a magneto from a generator and store it into battery's for electricity. Now the cool thing with use ing air motors is that you can transfer the air from one full tank to another tank and not lose the stored energy you are just use ing the difference in pressure between the two tanks to run your motor. So by use ing just two tanks that are full you could gain 50 percent energy out put. I am not saying that it would or would not be more efficient then an eletric wind mill but if you have a pneumatic windmill this would be a better way of use ing the power. I have thought of use ing a small compressor head as the drive for the air. As long as you have a small enough of a compressor and a wide enough windmill you should be fine even with a light wind to turn the compressor.  You may need a Check valve to off load the pressure from a dead re start. I have found at tractor supply a 15 ft windmill that has a aeration pump for ponds built in to it. It cost 1200 bucks, I thought that would work for the time being. I hope I'll have time this summer to build this system. When I do I'll post pics.

TheRetiredRancher:
Please post the pictures.  It sounds like an interesting project.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version