Author Topic: Episode-1012- Listener Calls for 11-2-12  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Episode-1012- Listener Calls for 11-2-12
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:04:06 AM »
The Survival Podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

SERIES:     TSP
EPISODE:  1012
DATE:         November 2, 2012
TITLE:         Episode-1012- Listener Calls for 11-2-12

SOURCE FILE:
http://www.survivalpodcast.net/audio/2012/11-12/epi-01012-calls-11-2-12.mp3

FILE ARCHIVE:   http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/calls-11-2-12

DESCRIPTION:
Today I take your calls on permaculture,eBooks vs. hard copy, the Federal Reserve, cooking rabbit, 2 cycle oil, guns, energy and more.
Remember to be on a show like this one just pick up your phone and call 866-65-THINK. The best way to improve your chances of being on the air is ask your question or make your point up front, then provide details.
Also please do your best to call from a quite area with a good connection and speak up so you can be well heard. I can’t put all calls on the air but I do my best to get most of them on.
Join Me Today As I Respond to Your Calls and Discuss…
Hugelkultur swales are they worth the extra effort
Advantages and disadvantages of eBooks
The myth of the 100 year Federal Reserve Charter
Ways to cook and use rabbit meat so you don’t get bored with it
Will using gas with 2 cycle mix in it harm a 4 cycle engine
Scoping a sporterized military rifle
The big rip off of so called “solar generators”
What to inspect when buying a used generator
Why the premium on diesel over gasoline
The danger of considering an individual word “offensive”
Why boiling DOE NOT make all water safe to drink
Resources for today’s show…
Members Support Brigade
Ready Made Resources – (sponsor of the day)
Bulk Ammo – (sponsor of the day)
Join Our Forum
TSP Copper
A bit on drinking water myths as it pertains to boiling
TSPs Disclaimers and Policies
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.

INTRO & CLOSING SONG:
“Revolution is You” by Gregg Yows

TRANSCRIPTION PROVIDED BY:
Hootie

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Episode-1012- Listener Calls for 11-2-12
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
[00:57:49]

Jack Spirko: Let us take another call. Actually we are not going to take another call right now. I have got a lot of emails recently sense we did all the generator shows for people looking at "solar generators" as they are called. I have spoke out on why I do not like a lot of them before. A particular model keeps getting sent to me. Ready store sells it. A few other places sell it. I kicked this one to Steven Harris, so there is no call here. There is a Steven Harris answer on this generator. I will link to the specific generator for you, so you can take a look at and understand everything Steve talking about. I asked him and said, "Hey man, slice and dice this thing. Explain to people why this is not a good way to invest your money." Steve take it away.

[00:58:31]

Steven Harris: Hello guys. This is Steve Harris of the expert panel, coming to you with expert panel answer. I am getting questions about these "solar generators" all the time now. Most people are thinking that they are light saber of infinite power just because they are rated at 1500 or 2000 watts. what most people do not realize is that the battery in these solar generators will only last for about 10 minutes at that power level. Yeah, 10 minutes. It does not sound much of a generator now does it. They are charging between $1500 to $2000 for this thing? I do not think so... Plus there is usually only a 100 watt of panels that come with it. That 100 watts in full sunshine. And that is watts per hour. And this is with you moving it pointing it at the sun. and even if you had 10 full hours of sunshine and you are not going to because it moves across the sky and it is less sunshine when it is lower at both ends of the sky (meaning morning sun and evening sun). Between battery inefficiencies and the panel not putting out all of its energy into the battery, which you would be surprised how often that happens. Inverter inefficiencies and such, you might get 400 usable watts of power from one 100 watt solar panel in a full day. That is 400 watts of power for 1 hour in your battery from a day of sunshine from a 100 watt panel. That does not sounds like a generator to me. Does it sound like a generator to you? Why does Steven Harris love solar power, yet hate solar power? Because you have heard me say both things. I want you to use what you got. What works. What will work now. That is your car in your driveway with an inverter. I have a whole TSP show just on that subject. I will give you the link at the end of this little speech. Your car or your generator work now, when you need it. When you are ankle deep with water in your basement and the sump pump needs power, you are in the darkness with a flashlight between your teeth and it is 3am in the morning, your wife is looking down stairs saying "Honey are you alright? Is there water down there?" You need something that will work right now at 3am in the morning. I have two entire shows I did with Jack on how to select and hookup a generator to your house. I will give you the link at the end of this. I have already had several people email me from there iPhone's from (Hurricane) Sandy saying "Thank god Steve. That 800 watt inverter you told us about powers my sump pump." They had no end joy at that ability. That is a $60 800 watt that just saved their rear ends from lugging buckets of water from the basement to upstairs to be thrown outside every day, every evening, every night, and every morning for an entire week during these (Hurricane) Sandy power failures. We have an entire show on how to power your house from your car. Again the link will be at the end of the show. Do you want to spend $1500 dollars for what you can do right now for between $20 and $200, that depends what size inverter you get, with your car in your driveway that you have right now? $1500 vs $50 dollars. The car will work even better than the solar generator. Here is one of two perfect examples why I really dislike these solar generators, and their sales job that are being sold from between $1500 and $2000. Hurricane Sandy was a 1000 mile wide slow moving storm. It is November 1st right now when I am recording this. It is 3 days plus since (Hurricane) Sandy hit, almost 4 days. It is still cloudy and raining in Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) right now. 3 or 4 days later it is still cloudy raining. Get this, it was raining for 2 days before (Hurricane) Sandy even got ashore because it was so big. It has been raining for 3 days after (Hurricane) Sandy. (Hurricane) Sandy has been cloudy for 5 to 6 days total. 100% cloud cover because of (Hurricane) Sandy. Despite what these con artists selling you these solar generators will tell you, solar panels do not work on cloudy days. A 100 Watt solar panel, that outputs 100 watts in full sunshine in the summer will output 10 or 5 or more like 2 watts in cloud cover. I am not joking. It is directly proportional to the amount of light. It can be 100 times brighter in the sunshine than it is with clouds. No kidding a 100 times brighter. You know this as much as I do, when the crap hits the fan it is going to do it with a bang. You are going to find yourself stuck in a situation that you have to fix right now. You have to do that with what you have right now and what works right now. That is your inverter and car. Here is  the other reason not to buy these solar generators. I am going to tell you how to build one step by step. There is only a few $100 in material in these things and they are selling for a few $1000. I am going to tell you how to make a home battery bank and how to make a mobile battery bank for your car. Yes I am going to tell you how to hook up solar power to it. First, I am going tell you how to recharge your battery bank from your car. I am going to tell you how to recharge your battery bank from generator. Finally, as a last resort if you have sunshine how  to recharge your battery bank with a solar panel. Yes, I am going to tell you how to hook up and use solar panels on batteries that are big and batteries that are small because Steve Harris is tell you solar panels are good long term solution for power. For those of you who want power for a month, or months, or a year and not just for a week like with Hurricane Sandy. I am going to tell you everything. If you are looking to buy inverts, batteries, and chargers right now just hold off for about one month because in early December I am having a huge battery show with Jack. Mobile battery banks for your car and pickup truck. Home battery banks for home power. Yeah, again that is going to have solar. I promise you that it will be a fantastic show. You can build your own solar battery. You will have three is one redundancy. Not just two is one and one is none, but three ways of getting power into your batteries. To get these shows that I have talked about that I have done on how to power your house from a car, how to select and purchase and hook up a generator to your house. Please go to www.Solar1234.com. You don't even need download the show, just use the "tap here" or "listen here" button and it will stream it directly to your iPhone or Android instantly. For some fun go to new.google.com and Google "lines for gasoline." You will see news photos of people standing in lines 3 blocks long, all of them holding empty red gas cans in there hands. This is people lined 3 blocks long. The lines for gasoline for car are over a mile long of people trying to get gasoline. Jack and I did a complete show on fuel and fuel storage. You can listen to it at Solar1234.com. I love you guys. Stay safe. We have lots of lessons being learned from (Hurricane) Sandy. 8 million people without power. Millions will not have power for a week. I got dozens of people emailing me telling me how great there to their neighbors because they listen to what Jack and I did on The Survival Podcast. I hope you can join our family of really prepared energy people. You won't have any suffering when the next thing hits you. Thanks guys.

[01:07:14]

Jack Spirko: Well there you go. I have been telling you I have a special project for Steve that I have discussed with him and that kind of gives you the overview of what it is going to be. It is going to be dead awesome. It is something that as I am putting a new diesel storage toolbox into my truck, that I what to do on my truck. I know I can do it really really really good. I know that Steve Harris can make what I was going to do just a little bit better. I thought instead of just me asking him a few question, why don't I let him just do the whole thing and make it available on the air. That is what we are going to do. Tune in on December for more on that. Hopefully this puts to rest the whole solar generator thing. The quick answer is that for a lot less money you can build a battery backup system that either charges from the grid or charges from your vehicle and add solar to it as a contingency. You would have a lot more power and lot more functionality than your will ever get out of these daggon rip offs. They are rip offs, they are rip offs, they are rip offs. Steve just said why, so I will let it go. Lets take another call.

[01:08:19]