Author Topic: Episode-1036- Listener Calls for 12-7-12  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Episode-1036- Listener Calls for 12-7-12
« on: August 09, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »
The Survival Podcast http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

SERIES:     TSP
EPISODE:  1036
DATE:         December 7, 2012
TITLE:         Episode-1036- Listener Calls for 12-7-12

SOURCE FILE:
http://www.survivalpodcast.net/audio/2012/12-12/epi-01036-calls-12-7-12.mp3

FILE ARCHIVE:   http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/calls-for-12-7-12

DESCRIPTION:
Today I take your calls on relocation, permaculture, generators,bugging out, vaccinations, self defense, skill sets, the economy and more.
Remember to be on a show like this one just pick up your phone and call 866-65-THINK. The best way to improve your chances of being on the air is ask your question or make your point up front, then provide details.
Also please do your best to call from a quite area with a good connection and speak up so you can be well heard. I can’t put all calls on the air but I do my best to get most of them on.
Join Me Today As I Respond to Your Calls and Discuss…
Why going to a “town council meeting”  should be part of screening a new place to live
Concerns with moisture and long term rice storage
Paul Wheaton and I differ (somewhat) on swale based earth works
Steven Harris weighs in on inverter generators
Bugging out may be harder then you think, for a different reason then you think
Thoughts on martial arts and self defense in general
Thoughts on vaccines and risk vs. reward
Top skills for being marketable in a rural environment
What would happen if the Fed wasn’t printing money
Storing and using winter squash
The good and bad of having land bordering “public land” in any form
More on swales then you probably wanted to know
Resources for today’s show…
Members Support Brigade
13Skills.com
Join Our Forum
TSP Copper
TSP Gear Shop
Back Yard Food Production – (sponsor of the day)
JM Bullion – (sponsor of the day)
Global Gardener – Drylands – Start watching at about 23 minutes to see 80 year old abandon swales in the desert.
Greening the Desert One and Two with Geoff Lawton (watch all four parts)
Val Riazanov – System Martial Arts
Dr. Mercola’s Website
Remember to comment, chime in and tell us your thoughts, this podcast is one man’s opinion, not a lecture or sermon. Also please enter our listener appreciation contest and help spread the word about our show. Also remember you can call in your questions and comments to 866-65-THINK and you might hear yourself on the air.

INTRO & CLOSING SONG:
“Revolution is You” by Gregg Yows

TRANSCRIPTION PROVIDED BY:
Hootie

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Episode-1036- Listener Calls for 12-7-12
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »

[00:37:08]

Jack Spirko: Let go ahead and take another one.

[00:37:10]

Caller: Expert panel question for Steve Harris. Hi Steve you did that whole generator show. I found that quite interesting. There were these inverter generators that seem to use less fuel, they are quieter, and they put out a better signal for electronics. As a computer programmer that is rather important to me. The thing that I am rather puzzled by it seems like it is better technology, when I looked at these generators the largest I found was 6500 Honda. Is there a reason these are not in larger generators. Sounds like I would like to have one of these for a 10 KW to 15 KW whole house backup generator.  I am not seeing those. I was hoping that you could give me a little heads up why we are not seeing them. It is just that it is such new technology. Or do they kind of fall off at a certain point. Thanks for your answer.

[00:38:14]

Jack Spirko: That one I am going to completely bow out and let Steven give you the answer. I will come back and take another call. That is a 100% Steven Harris question.

[00:38:23]

Steven Harris: Hello everyone. This is Steve Harris from the expert panel calling in to answer your question. First of all we really need kill off this stupid myth that is floating around cyberspace about generators being bad for electronics. All generators, all 7 types of generators that I talked about on my generator show, are just perfectly fine for your electronics, for your TV, for you computer, for your game boy, for your Wii U, and for your PlayStation. They are all fine. This has been a myth that has been started by the stupid solar generator people. Jack and I have already separably and repeatedly addressed how those are a huge scam. They want you to buy their $2000 inverter and battery, when I am going to show you how to do it for $200 for absolutely nothing on my TSP battery show. All electronic run on DC power. They convert AC to DC in a power supply to run the electronics. Power supplies really don't car about the quality of the incoming AC power. It gets converted and filtered down to perfectly smooth DC power, no matter how much fluctuation you get in the AC power coming in. Look at your laptop. There is a big huge power supply attached to it. It does nothing but take AC power and change it over to low voltage DC. It has got transformer. It has got filters capacitors in it. It has got everything and it has electronics in there called voltage regulators to regulate the voltage exactly to what the laptop is going to need. It is always going to produce the exact voltage the laptop needs. No matter what the internal AC power is going to be doing. Look at every piece of electronics you have. They almost all have wall warts or power supplies that do the same thing. They change the AC to DC voltage. It is precisely regulated to DC, to a very exact 5 volts, a very exact 12 volts, or a very exact other voltage for whatever the charger, game, toy, or tool that you have needs. It does this no matter how much the AC voltage fluctuates up and down, and how much the frequency fluctuates back and forth. The DC power supply will convert all of it to DC. Electronics we buy in the USA are all made in China or Japan. They sell the same electronics around the world. All of these electronics run in crap countries around the world with crap power from a crap grid that is a lot worse than the nice smooth easy AC power you are going to be making from your generator here in The United States. You do not need an inverter generator just because of your electronics. Inverter generators are more quiet. They run at a lower RPM because they can do what we call follow the load. They can speedup and slowdown depending upon what your load is. They don't have to always spin at 3600 RPM to make 60 hertz AC, like a regular generator does. The electronics in the inverter generator makes the 60 hertz just perfect. The inverter spins to make DC power based upon the load. That DC is then instantly converted to the AC that you need. That is why when you have a low load on a generator it is running at a low RPM and it is exceptionally quiet. The thing that comes to mind is 6500 watts not big enough for you? That is more than enough most home in the United States. Yes there are reasons why they are not bigger than 6500 watts. It contains an awful lot of electronics in it to convert DV voltage off of the generator to a prefect AC for you to use inside within your house. The Honda EU 6500i watt inverter generator is already $4000. That is 6500 watts. You can buy 240 volt AC and 120 volt AC generator that is 10 kilowatts (10,000 watts) for a $1000, and this is 5 or 6 times the price. You you ready want to spend $7,000 to $10,000 for a 14 kilowatt (14,000 watts) or 18 kilowatt (18,000 watt) inverter generator. They don't exist. Especially when your normal whole house generator will work just 100% fine for you at half the price and it will work on all of your electronics. If there is something that you have that is so sensitive, then you better have a very nice UPS on it. That stands for Uninteruptable Power Supply, not UPS the shipping company. That will protect you from everything that could happen to it, both on US power and from generator power. Heck, I have had my UPS save my computer from turning off during a power failure 6 times in the last 7 days. For some reason my wife put our christmas lights on the same out door circuit that my home office is on. When my little electric heater kicks on to keep it nice and warm down here, it blows the breaker in the fuse box. Usually it is right in the middle of some big long email I am writing. The UPS keeps everything up for me so I can go down to the breaker box and  throw the breaker and turn the power back on. It has got very good USA application for it. Costco and Sams have very good UPS at a good price. They are usually around a $100 for a good size one. I suggest anyone listening go buy one. Thanks for the question. Keep them coming in. I love them all from your guys. If you wonder why this question is being asked. I did two entire show on selecting the fuel and generator for you home. See generator show number 1 and generator show number 2 at www.Solar1234.com. You can just tap on it from your smart phone to listen to it as you work or drive. I did mention that I am going to show you how to make your own home and mobile battery inverter setup. It  looks like that show will be on TSP in the second week of December of the year 2012. If you want a sneak peak as to what is going to be on the battery show take a look at www.Battery1234.com. <laughs> Got you guys there. It is a new one just for you. As always my past show are all listed at Solar1234.com for you to listen to. Thanks for the questions keep them coming in. I love them. I will be seeing you guys shortly on the new  battery show. Thank you

[00:45:03]

Jack Spirko: Good stuff as always from Steven Harris. We have got that backup battery show coming Wednesday and Thursday of the coming week. You guys are going to love that.  Lets go ahead and take another call.

[00:45:12]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:10:03 PM by Hootie »