Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

Getting in to Archery

<< < (2/4) > >>

Texasbound:
I'm also just getting in the archery.  I have an older compound bow.  Took it to the local shop and had it adjusted and tuned up.  What I need to know is what sort of target distances I should start with, and what should I hope to achieve?  I'm just working on accuracy and consistency right now.  Trying to get a good feel for the bow and make some sort of improvements.  What is the maximum realistic range on a compound bow?

UnderTheRadar:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on January 03, 2009, 09:16:16 PM ---Hey, have you checked out your local archery shops?

--- End quote ---

+1 Sister Wolf

I ran an archery pro shop while I was going to college at night for four years, and the people who work there do it because it is their passion (the pay stinks).  The shop pro was a great guy,  trained everyone on the sales team, and selected inventory.  Shop around and find someone with knowledge and a good attitude.  There is a lot of knowledge required to fit a bow to a customer.  You usually have to correct a lot of their bad habits before you can even take good measurements.  I usually saved the customer a lot of grief and at least $100 by setting them up with a good package deal and fitting everything properly.

Every customer is unique and you can save time by having thought through why you want a bow and how much you want to spend before you shop.  Example: "I don't like the idea of treestands and plan to stalk.  I don't trust mechanical releases and like the idea of using my fingers.  I have $300."  I would set this person up with a light weight (physical weight, not draw weight) bow because they will carry it a lot, and keep the sights compact and avoid a stabilizer to keep it from snagging on branches.  I would also recommend a longer bow because the short ones pinch your fingers and are less forgiving for a sloppy finger release.

Watch out for know-it-all blowhards who pretend their store is a pro shop.  The person you select should have trophies (wall trophy or game trophy) and a good attitude.

UnderTheRadar

UnderTheRadar:

--- Quote from: Texasbound on May 03, 2009, 09:30:45 PM ---What I need to know is what sort of target distances I should start with, and what should I hope to achieve?

--- End quote ---

No more than 20 yards.  Focus on tightening your groups before moving out to longer ranges.  Also, consider lightening up the draw weight until your muscles build up.  After four years in a pro shop I could draw 100 lbs, but you have to start small.  (I kept one around to deflate the body builders that came in.  Not to be mean, but to get past the testosterone so they would listen)

--- Quote from: Texasbound on May 03, 2009, 09:30:45 PM ---What is the maximum realistic range on a compound bow?

--- End quote ---

The local outdoor range had a 100 yard target, and the really talented people could shoot about an 8" group (not me).  But not with a bow like yours or mine.  It took an 80lb draw on a short fast bow with radical cams, overdraw, mechanical release, Kevlar bowstrings and cables, 36" stabilizer, carbon arrows, and a ton of practice.

In the Olympics the winners shoot about the same size group at 70 meters with recurves and finger release.

You can expect to get good performance out to 60 yards with practice, and have a reliable large game hunting range out to 40 yards.  "Buck fever" reduces your accurate range until you have shot a lot of animals.

UnderTheRadar

Texasbound:
Thank you, I haven't been able to find anyone to give me any guidelines on distances so far.  This will give me somewhere to start.

khristopher23:

--- Quote ---Our local instructor charges $17 an hour (that's, what, 4 cups of coffee, and a tip? not bad!
--- End quote ---

Damn girl, where are you buying your coffee at? Racetrac gas stations have it for about $1 a cup, no tip necessary! ;D

Archery is something I am also interested in, especially the recurve side. I've noticed a lot of good deals on e bay for bows, any advice on what to look for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version