Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

cross bows disasemble easily ?

(1/3) > >>

surfivor:

At the store yesterday I was looking at bows, it looked like the frame of most of the crossbows can disassemble into 3 parts, if it is easy enough to take them apart, that might mean it is an ideal bow for packing into a back pack or something for long distance traveling that way. Any thoughts on that ?

The other types of bows look to be one piece or no ?

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 02, 2008, 06:02:52 AM ---
 At the store yesterday I was looking at bows, it looked like the frame of most of the crossbows can disassemble into 3 parts, if it is easy enough to take them apart, that might mean it is an ideal bow for packing into a back pack or something for long distance traveling that way. Any thoughts on that ?

The other types of bows look to be one piece or no ?

--- End quote ---

Before getting hooked by the longbow bug I owned a crossbow or two.  Most crossbows are pretty heavy, at least the ones I owned were.  I suppose you could pack one but if you're going to hump that weight, why not hump a small rifle of some type?  There are many types of takedown rifles these days.  It would of course depend on the model of crossbow you chose, but they aren't exactly space savers either.

I tend to view crossbows as a niche weapon, they're neat & if you can't have anything else they're fine.  IMO there are much better options than a crossbow.   

surfivor:

From listening to the podcast, at first I thought a longbow would be good, then a guy up where I camp says they are hard to pull at 60 pounds or so and instinctive shooting takes years to learn. I'm not sure which way to go ..

My mother doesn't want me target practicing in the back yard, I'd have to go out in thee woods with one of those little hard foam box targets

surfivor:
I meant to say compound bow instead of crossbow, I keep getting those two mixed up, I know the crossbow is the one with the trigger, I would not get that, but between the other types I am pretty much unsure what I'd want to get at this point

ModernSurvival:
Some are designed to "take down" to varying levels.  Shooting instinctively can take a long time for some, others can just do it with ease.  Some modern recurves and longbows have easy ways to add pin sites too if you need them.  You may want to rent or borrow a bow, take a few lessons from an experienced shooter to gauge your personal aptitude to make a more informed decision.

That said if you can shoot a rifle well at 20-40 yards you will be decent with a cross bow quite quickly, they have a very short learning curve and many advantages over a typical bow.  This is precisely why many states don't allow them in archery season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version