Author Topic: The final days of The Survival Podcast Forum have arrived (probably)  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
Well, we've got our orders from Soros and Gates.  With the election less than 2 weeks away, we've got to shut down TSP Forum pronto.

Okay, here's what's really happening.  As you probably know, Jack Spirko has a lot of websites besides this forum.  They are running on two dedicated servers, which is kinda expensive.  And over the years, some software which is difficult to update has simply not been updated.  This includes basic stuff like the operating system (which reaches end-of-life in just over a month), and some software for individual sites (like this forum, which is many years out-of-date).

We've all known about this for a long time, but nobody has had the time/energy/money to fix the mess.

This reached a crisis point in early September, when we discovered the main server had been hacked in multiple different ways by unknown Bad Guys.  We don't know whether they were exploiting one security hole or several, but they added crap all over the place, probably including new backdoors that we haven't identified.

At that point, Jack (with input from me and Archer) decided it was time to hire a new guy to coordinate a move to a brand-new, malware-free server, with all up-to-date software.  This work has been in progress for weeks, and the big move for the thesurvivalpodcast.com domain is coming up probably next Monday 10/26/20.  Jack wants this completed ASAP, because at present he is paying for the new server AND the two old servers.

Of course the #1 goal here is to stop the Bad Guys, so all software on the new server needs to be up-to-date with all current bug-fixes.  So the next question is, what (if anything) gets triaged during the move?

TSP Forum is on the "probably triage" list, for two main reasons.  One, as you're aware if you've been here a few years, forum usage is dropping lower and lower.  Although the forum still attracts a lot of hits from search engines, approximately 0% of those hits lead to a new member registering here (except for spammers).  And current members have been drifting away for many years -- as have the forum's admins and moderators.

Two, for technical reasons, it's a huge amount of work to update the forum software AND retain all its current functionality.  We've added many customizations over the years, including some hand-edits to the code.  An update wipes out all of those customizations, and we would need to restore at least some of them -- and because the core software has changed, we don't know if our customizations would still work.

So, the big picture for the forum is: a whole lot of work, to support a small number of current users.  And those few of us who know how to do the work are just not available to spend time on it.

What we do want, if at all possible, is to preserve the forum as a read-only archive.  As of today I'm not entirely sure how to do this.  But there's a huge amount of good info here.  And from a business standpoint, the search engine hits bring in a lot of potential listeners and MSB members for Jack.

So here's the most likely scenario.  Around about Sunday 10/25/20, I will put TSP forum in Maintenance Mode, which means nobody except admins will be able to login or read any posts.  Early next week, Jack's new server wizard will move the forum to its new home.  After that, I will try to bring it back to life, probably in read-only form.  This won't happen immediately, because I am overwhelmed with obligations in my personal life, and I'm the only person here who knows how to do the work.  So the forum will be down entirely, for (I'm guessing) at least a week, maybe a month.

What will replace TSP Forum?  Well, at present there is a fairly active MeWe group, Survival Podcast Hang Out, at https://mewe.com/group/5acf93bba5f4e52822e780a1 (and as with most MeWe groups, you can't find out a single thing about it unless you join first).  For podcast-related discussions, the comments on Jack's TSP Blog are the place to go.

There is some discussion about starting up a new, much smaller and leaner forum.  I won't be personally involved with that, and at the moment I'm not sure if it's going to happen, or when.  We'll try to keep you updated.

That's all I know at the moment.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: The final days of The Survival Podcast Forum have arrived (probably)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
yikes. 

Read only I guess is better than nothing.  Will there be a search option?

I guess I need to go through and find the threads that I was saving for my own information.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 06:55:28 PM »
What will replace TSP Forum?  Well, at present there is a fairly active MeWe group, Survival Podcast Hang Out, at https://mewe.com/group/5acf93bba5f4e52822e780a1 (and as with most MeWe groups, you can't find out a single thing about it unless you join first).  For podcast-related discussions, the comments on Jack's TSP Blog are the place to go.

In addition, Jack has compiled a page of TSP-related social media (most of which I didn't even know about!):
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/get-social

There is some discussion about starting up a new, much smaller and leaner forum.

Docwatmo is trying to set one up.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 06:58:20 PM »
Also, I've disabled registration for new members.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 04:12:01 AM »
not good news; what else do I read at 3am when I wake up at the wrong time.

Tripwire / OSSEC  and it's ilk would be help ID files that are new to the party.

The few times I needed to access the members brigade area have been thru this portal.

Sad news, I figured with no news on the server move something was a foot, or with more than one website, something a feet?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 04:48:39 AM »

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:36:53 AM »
My problem is I run old tech. Things like need want even load. I just don't see the money to to spend hundreds of dollars every few years on new tech. Need just isn't loadable on my iPad 2 or this old fire tablet.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
Well it was a telegraphed punch but I am sad. I came here after I lost my corporate job and was putting my life back together such that I'd never be in that horrible position again. In doing so I've worked through some hard times, seen the highest highs, and shared it all with people who were positive. Mistakes were made and I'll freely admit my verbiage was at times regrettable but that was the exception.

Along the way too many people came into my life. Whether that was Cedar giving me advice on Canadian folk music, Carl posting about a new light, Smurf helping me zero a rifle, or Freelancer helping zero in on the best SAK the connection was real. I really like knowing that my mundane stuff like repairing tools, keeping the old tractor running, and keeping the maker flame burning when you're beat is shared. That's a tip of the hat to Red and Stwood; keep on rocking it and know there's a guy in MN turning a wrench too. There are so many others; too many to name.

Those who have been around a while know forum members have seen many life changes for me. I've had a child, lost a grandmother, seen my brother in law deploy twice, had a big family crisis, and had to rebuild my house from storm damage. That with the everyday stuff.

I hope I've provided some value, too. I like to think I can cook quite well and manage money better than most. I've tried not to let the Zerohedge negativity creep in: I think I only let the specific bear come out three times (GE, Boeing, and the curse of my soul Bitcoin) and I hope on all three accounts I helped save money for others. These are hard topics.

I'm rambling again but since it'll be one of my last posts I assume it will be forgiven. Maybe I'm waxing poetical on the zeitgeist I always perceived here but the gemeinschaft was something I valued. Shit, the German philosophy is creeping in. I'll miss you all and when this ship is retired I'll raise a glass of Ardbeg An Oa. Good Scotch.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:35 AM »
I willhave to say that the idea of losing the forum does not chime well with me, but that's life

but I will be frank...I have gone through 5 or more such forum changes in my net life, and the rebirth was not the same..
something is lost in the transition and interest drops.
Maybe it is the disruption of the daily habits, I guess.

Anyway..I will be logging in the mewe group right now,
I hope i find you all there!

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:00:29 PM »
Sad to see it go, but I am one that drifted mostly away...  :-\

Offline Mintbird

• Senior Survivalist
  • Prepping since 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »
I'm sad to see the forum go.  :'(  While I haven't posted much, I've enjoyed reading the posts.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
I'm sad to see the forum go.  :'(  While I haven't posted much, I've enjoyed reading the posts.
same goes for me.
I did update my contact info.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
I've been digging around in the software.  Plans are still the same (make it all read-only), but if we're very lucky, this will be a fast job, and the forum may only be down for a few days (depending on my schedule).

Also, we can probably keep Personal Messages operational (for a while at least), so y'all can contact your friends here.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 06:52:22 PM »
thanks for that update

The only other thought would be to have a single spot to post contact info - or possible follow on recommend websites for continued fun?  even if it is an e-mail to have you post the data up...just a thought

I was back on MeWe - it is better than it was - but it is missing some nice to have features I love about this place.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
Well durnit. New site finding time I guess, when I get time.

David and all. Maybe we can catch each other somewhere.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »
I was back on MeWe - it is better than it was - but it is missing some nice to have features I love about this place.

Forums provide a type of interaction that Facebook and MeWe cannot provide.  A few years back, I wrote up An Introduction to Internet Forums for Facebook Users and summarized the differences:

In Facebook terms, a forum resembles a collection of maybe 10 to 200 related Facebook Groups, all with the same membership and under the same management. But there are important differences:

History
Facebook is great for conversations spanning a few hours or a few days, but finding old posts on a particular topic is very inconvenient. In a forum, though, the whole history is easily available, organized by topic, and searchable. This makes forums a better choice when you want to access (and contribute to) an archive of information.

Long-term discussions
Forums are also great for conversations spanning months or years. Customs vary from one forum to another, but it's common to find some forum discussions that continue for many years, or are resurrected when a member has something new to add.

Breadth and depth
A forum can cover a broad range of related topics, but by splitting up the discussions into many separate forum sections, it enables in-depth discussion of narrow topics. It's easy to ignore the topics that don't interest you, and to join other members in discussing interests that you share.

This is not what most people want anymore.  Or so it seems.  Everyone is captivated by the immediacy of Facebook and Twitter, and of course these behemoths have designed their algorithms to keep feeding you the latest and most attention-grabbing material.  It's rare to have a deep discussion of any topic, and even if you do, those discussions drift off the bottom of your news feed in a few days and are generally never seen again.

Forums have their own problems, though.  (You already know this if you've been a member of any forum for more than a few months.)  I've been a forum guy for 30 years -- my wife and I ran a dialup BBS from our basement in the early 1990s -- and most of the problems are still exactly the same as they ever were.

I will miss TSP Forum.  Mostly I will miss the amazing place it was in 2009-2014ish.  But compared to those years, the 2020 TSP Forum is sort of a zombie. :zombie:  Time to move forward.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
Well darn.  And I was just about to jump back in, too.  Took a little time off after Carl's passing, then a little more, then...   Ah well, either we'll be back (doubtful? maybe?) or I'll see some of you at the next cool forum.

And you're right on all three points, Mr. Bill.  Facebook and the like just don't hold anything of substance for a lot of people -- including me!

If the TSP board isn't back, anybody got any suggestions for similar well-run forums?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 09:56:03 PM by Alan Georges »

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 04:12:10 AM »
I hope it can be kept as read only and searchable. There's lots of good information here.