Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

What kind of boots do you recommend?

<< < (5/7) > >>

LvsChant:
the hubs swears by Danner... he just got a new pair of the Pronghorn boot

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRJ7BN6/ref=dp_prsubs_2

ChrisFox:
I think I've given up on heavy boots. I've switched to a lightweight pair of sketcher safety shoes. Got the slip resistant soles and steel toe just doesn't weigh 12 pounds each. So much better at the end of the day. Will they last? No. My USA made redwings didn't last 2 years and I even took extra good care of them. Not worth the 400 I spent on them. Mind is changed, shoes are a disposable and are treated as such in my house.

cannonball:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 18, 2018, 02:38:01 PM --- I was just thinking, what kind of boots do those who hike the Appalachian trail use ? How can you hike every day like that for so many miles ? What if your boots get wet, what kind of socks ? Do you have to wash your sox on the trail ?

--- End quote ---

I know a couple that have done the AT and they wore/wear trail runners for the weight savings

David in MN:

--- Quote from: ChrisFox on October 18, 2018, 09:08:01 PM ---I think I've given up on heavy boots. I've switched to a lightweight pair of sketcher safety shoes. Got the slip resistant soles and steel toe just doesn't weigh 12 pounds each. So much better at the end of the day. Will they last? No. My USA made redwings didn't last 2 years and I even took extra good care of them. Not worth the 400 I spent on them. Mind is changed, shoes are a disposable and are treated as such in my house.

--- End quote ---

You're in good company. I can't speak to Sketchers but a lot of people I know in the food industry wear Converse safety shoes. The lighter tennis shoe style is a lot more comfortable for indoor wear. I opted for the Red Wing gunboats because a bad day for me meant an extruder backing up and dumping molten hot cereal grains all over me and then cleaning the pilot plant with high pressure steam.

For my yardwork boot I'm looking for something different. I don't need a steel toe and my safety  conceerns are much more based on not slipping on oil or the wet rocks at the cabin. I want to not care that I'm in inches of standing water or mud. I still pull out the steel toes to do heavy machine work or if I'm doing demo work but I want something in between for when I need to climb a ladder or plant a tree or something like that.

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 18, 2018, 02:38:01 PM --- I was just thinking, what kind of boots do those who hike the Appalachian trail use ? How can you hike every day like that for so many miles ? What if your boots get wet, what kind of socks ? Do you have to wash your sox on the trail ?

--- End quote ---

Thru-hikers on the much more rugged PCT typically wear running shoes and change their socks multiple times per day, washing and drying on the go. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version