Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

What kind of boots do you recommend?

<< < (4/7) > >>

kevinsims:
I have a pair of GBX work boots. I'm pretty sure they're a cheap brand, idk. But I've had them for about 5 years now. They're good for working, and I wear them a lot in the winter, but they wouldn't be too go for hiking.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: kevinsims on June 22, 2017, 10:21:14 PM ---I have a pair of GBX work boots. I'm pretty sure they're a cheap brand, idk. But I've had them for about 5 years now. They're good for working, and I wear them a lot in the winter, but they wouldn't be too go for hiking.

--- End quote ---

Sometimes cheap boots will surprise you.  I bought a pair of plain leather hiking boots (no lining, very plain!) at an REI sale back in 1970 for $5.  I wore them for hiking, roofing, lawn mowing and yard work, light construction, etc and they just would not wear out.  I rarely even treated them with anything because I was sure they would not last. Maybe some SnoSeal every few years. They are severely scuffed and nicked, still have splotches of roofing tar, a few lace eyes are pulling out, and the Vibram sole is almost smooth. I just retired them a couple of years ago, though they are STILL usable.  About 45 years of hard use (not daily) for $5.  Sometimes you get lucky.

David in MN:
I need to restart this thread because after a weekend of pulling out a boat, lift, and dock I noticed my beloved Ecco boots are meeting their maker.  :'( After a summer of doing concrete work and a decade of 'around the house' work (including the cabin) they are just plain falling apart. Amazingly it's the synthetic bottom material that's giving way; the leather is still solid. So I'm in the market for a new workboot for yardwork. Here's basically a very similar model to what I have:

https://us.ecco.com/ecco-mens-rugged-track-gtx-hi-838024.html?dwvar_838024_color=51052#start=1

I also have a pair of Red Wing steel toes this model (I think):

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2406-red-wing-shoes/2406-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

They're awesome if you don't mind 5 lb ankle weights on each foot. But when I'm running a chainsaw and felling trees it's nice to know my feet are as protected as possible.

I also have a pair of Keen winter boots which are in my mind the gold standard if you want light warm boots.

But I'm looking to replace the Eccos. I want a medium duty (no steel toe) work boot that lets me stand in 3" of water and not get my feet wet. Sounds like a crazy thing but when the Eccos were new I could do just that. I guess what I'm saying is I need a new "in between" work boot. I have a pair of slip on plastic "steel toe" Red Wings I use while working in my shop and love them. My heavy duty Red Wings are great when I'm running heavy equipment and things are falling near my toes. But I need a new middle ground. I'm probably a year or so out from actually buying because my Eccos are on their last legs but those legs are still hobbling along. But I'm paying attention because the right boot lasts a decade so I only plan to buy 3 more in my life.

Redman:
Nice thing about Redwings is that when the soles wear out you don't need to buy new. Return them to the factory for resoling at a fraction of the cost of new. About half last I knew. Just for what it's worth.

surfivor:

I was just thinking, what kind of boots do those who hike the Appalachian trail use ? How can you hike every day like that for so many miles ? What if your boots get wet, what kind of socks ? Do you have to wash your sox on the trail ? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version